johnson 120 with one cylinder burning rich why ?

fpvman

Cadet
hi all i have a johnson 120 1987 model which has good compression. i cleaned all the carbs out and took it for a run when i punch it it has a slow hole and will only rev out to a max of 4000rpm and surges when trying to go any faster.
i have noticed that the bottom cylinder on the fuel pump side is running rich and the spark plug is black all the other plugs are burning good and are brown.
why pls help is it the fuel pump?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 120 with one cylinder burning rich why ?

(Compression & Spark Test)
(J. Reeves)

1st - Regardless of what problem one might encounter, always start with the basic troubleshooting procedure. Check the compression which should be in the range of 100+ psi (somewhat less on the smaller hp engines) and even on all cylinders.

2nd - With the spark plugs removed, rig up some type of spark tester whereas you can set a gap to be jumped. On magneto ignition systems.... and also the Battery Capacitance Ignition system OMC engines from 1968 to 1972, set the gap to 1/4". On the solid state OMC ignition systems from 1973 to the present, set the gap to 7/16". The spark should jump the gap with a strong blue lightning like flame..... a real strong blue snap!

NOTE: Checking the spark via using the spark plugs is a waste of time and proves nothing. The above stated gaps must be used for a proper test.

If there was no spark, on engines from 1973 up (If the electrical plug exists), disconnect the RED main electrical plug at the engine. Remove the s/plugs. crank the engine via the starter solenoid (jumper bat term to small 3/8" term nut, not the ground nut) and observe spark. If spark is now okay as stated above, the usual cause is a shorted ignition switch BUT that black/yellow wire could also.be shorted to ground at some point wthin the wiring harness.

For the later model engines where that large RED electrical plug was discontinued for updated electrical connections, find the black/yellow wire leading to the powerpack and disconnect it to run the above ignition switch/wiring harness test.

If the above checks out as it should, and the engine dies out when throttle is applied or won't idle, it is usually due to one or both of two things. The carburetors are fouled, in which case the cure would be to remove, clean, and rebuild them..... or the timer base under the flywheel is sticking which would result in a retarded spark. If the engine will not fire/start at all even though you have the proper spark and compression, it's usually due to fouled carburetors.

To check the timer base for sticking (Engine Not Running), spin the prop to align the shifter dog with forward gear and while doing so, put the engine into forward gear. Now, while watching the timer base, slowly apply throttle clear up to full throttle. The timer base should move smoothly all the way up against the black rubber cap that is atached to the end of the full advance spark setting screw. If the timer base sticks, find out why and correct that problem.

Usually any sticking of the timer base is caused by one of the four retaining clamps being slightly too tight. Putting a very thin washer under the clamp cures that problem. Some boaters use a thin screwdriver to bend the clamp upwards slightly but I prefer the thin washer. The sticking can also be caused by having a faulty stator start to melt down, resulting in a sticky substance dripping down on the timer base nylon retaining ring.

Let us know what you find, especially in the compression and spark department.

fpvman

Cadet

ok umm i replaced the stator about a monh ago i also have brand new plugs leads and cdi.
the spark looks good blue with a crack.and the compresion is good at around 135psi on all cylinders.
im going to look at the timer base and see if it is sticking like you said as i had to replace my old one it was getting hard to start when hot. i already have cleaned al the carbs and jets with no change. to the problem.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The spark gap is important when testing. If you have no tester whereas you can set a 7/16" gap, stick a medium philips screwdriver into the spring connector within the rubber plug boot... it should fit just about perfect within that spring connector. Then hold it approximately 7/16" or 1/2" away from the block. Testing spark with the spark plugs gives a false reading.

A black spark plug electrode usually indicates a weak spark due to a poor coil ground or broken continuity within the coil.

(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Coils - Continuity Test))
(J. Reeves)

Check the continuity of the ignition coils. Remove the primary orange wire from whatever it's connected to. It may be connected to a powerpack screw type terminal, a rubber plug connector, or it may simply plug onto a small boss terminal of the coil itself.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground of the coil or the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or if it's not attached, touch the primary stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire. Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for s/plug fouling.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the fuel pump leaking fuel into that cyl ??

fpvman

Cadet

ok ill try what you said j reeves. cheers for the info.
boobie yes that cylinder is flooding and i dont no whyhow coulod the fuel pump be leaking into one cylinder only though?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the fuel pump pulse runs off of that cyl, yes

fpvman

Cadet

ok so how do i fix this problem of the cylinder flooding do i just get a new fuel pump?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you have fuel in the pulse line or fitting, the fuel pump is defective. You will have to rebuild or replace it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make sure the fuel pump pulse line runs off of the cyl you're having probs with.