'95 Johnson 115hp 60 deg OceanRunner Choke Primer / Cold starting problem

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Engine will not start unless I manually flip the red handle choke/primer(term?) behind the air silence up (not sure if cold weather lately have to do anything with it.) If I manually choke the engine by pushing in the key when starting, it would just cranks and cranks. However, flipping the manual red primer/choke? up and it starts right way. I'd then turn the lever down after a few seconds and it would starts fine with the key afterwards.

Is there a way to test if the key choke is working ? Or is something needing replacement on this engine ? Thanks.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: '95 Johnson 115hp 60 deg OceanRunner Choke Primer / Cold starting problem

if all is quiet you can hear the choke mechanism activate when you press in the key. You should press the choke in and hold it for 7-10 seconds, then try to start the motor. make sure you primed the motor good with the primer ball as well!! my 95 starts hard in the cold as well.......sometimes it takes 5 minutes to start the thing!!...

good luck

bob

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if all is quiet you can hear the choke mechanism activate when you press in the key. You should press the choke in and hold it for 7-10 seconds, then try to start the motor. make sure you primed the motor good with the primer ball as well!! my 95 starts hard in the cold as well.......sometimes it takes 5 minutes to start the thing!!...

good luck

bob

Good to know Bob, thanks. I usually press the choke in for a only a second before trying to crank but it doesn't work. I'll try 7-10 seconds to see if it helps.

SparkieBoat

Captain

yes those motors are thirsty...also if the primer is working fine, (you can check by simply removing the small hose that goes to the intake manifold and seeing if fuel comes out when you press in the key). if all is good there the intake manifold gasket may need to be replaced as the fuel passed through some slots in the gasket and the old black style gaskets are bad about swelling up and blocking the passage.

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes those motors are thirsty...also if the primer is working fine, (you can check by simply removing the small hose that goes to the intake manifold and seeing if fuel comes out when you press in the key). if all is good there the intake manifold gasket may need to be replaced as the fuel passed through some slots in the gasket and the old black style gaskets are bad about swelling up and blocking the passage.

Ground wire on the primer was loose on engine harness. After connecting the ground, pushing the key choke makes the clicking sound now (wasn't before). I'm sure that's the problem why it didn't started in the mornings.

SparkieBoat

Captain

yep