Evinrude 2hp mate 1973

Robwills

Recruit
Hi i have the above outboard that i have put a new carb kit in, de coked and put new head gasket on. Has decent spark from new plug, but it still will not run. It starts when it feels like it on full throttle and half choke, but then will just die. Any input or help from any one would be most appreciated. I do not have a magento puller, so any info how i can that off to check points and condenser and coil, would be helpful as well.

Thanks rob wills

kbait

Commander
Re: Evinrude 2hp mate 1973

Make sure you're getting 1/4" consistent blue bolt from plug lead (w/tester, or just open up an old plug to 1/4" and ground to head bolt). If that tests good you likely have a clogged low speed circuit in the carb. They'll run on choke, or at over 1/3ish throttle, but won't idle at all. Good luck, and post back w/results.. and Welcome to iboats! I think I'm smart w/these little J/E motors, but I'm a newbie compared to some of the vast knowledge shared by some of the members who post here!

Ps.. if you don't get adequate spark, just search for 'flywheel puller', and you'll see what you need to access magneto($15 puller.. use grade 8 bolts/washers).