1979 johnson 100 hp weatherstrip

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to replace this rubber weatherstrip or whatever it's called that's dry and coming off on the motor cover but don't know what it's called or where to get it.

Any Ideas?

boatmotortrim.jpg

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1979 johnson 100 hp weatherstrip

Go to marineengine.com and search your motor there is a diagram of motor cover showing the seals but I was unsure of which one you need

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

thank you. now I am on the right track with knowing what it's called. MOTOR COVER SEAL is what I am looking for and now I have a part number to boot. Thanks again.

bm

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

btw, since everybody likes pictures here, that motor is connected to this, a 1980 four star. I am currently replacing all the vinyl and seats and stuff and putting a front fishing deck where the open bow area is.

boat1.jpg

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Bombardier has stock on that seal: 329548 is the replacement number. About $ 35.

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

I thought you guys would like to see the after pic.

newseal.jpg

as you can see, it makes a huge difference. now I want to paint it the same color as the motor cover.

it was interesting how it was mounted. they actually stapled through the fiberglass of the cover. I used silicone and am going to see if that is good enough to hold it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Not sure your replacement seal will take paint very well. You might want to test paint a spot of the seal inside the cowl first. If it does not take paint, no one will see it. When I replaced my 79 seal, I just left it black.