9.5 Swivel assembly

1datsroj

Cadet
Hello all,

Just wondering if its a heck of a job to replace a swivel assembly or approximately what could one expect to pay to have it done. I have not aquired a manual yet and it is on my to do list.

Thank you

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 9.5 Swivel assembly

What's wrong with it and maybe you could post a pic ??

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

As far as paying to have it done, the hard part might be finding someone who will / can do it, these 9.5s are far more time consuming when it comes to swapping out the swivel. The job is not hard if you have done it a time or 3, If you decide to DIY go over the manual and take photo's / video of each step. If you find someone to do it ask twice" if they have done this job on a 9.5

1datsroj

Cadet

Ive taken a couple of photos, after viewing the 2nd photo it seems like I also have a problem with the port side lower cover as well. Bumer of it is I bought this motor close to a year ago and finally got a boat 2 weeks ago. The boat came with a 9.5 johnson and this motor ran so much better. I havent done a thing to it yet but the johnson only fired on the lower cylinder, I replaced the plug wires and put in new coils and points and condensers from reading on other posts. Seemed to work wot, but has a funky idle still.

This evin swivel project I feel I would be getting in over my head if I were to attempt it.

20120426_163843[2].jpg20120426_163951.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

What's the compression like on the johnson?
Might be easier to get it running properly.

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, the cowl, and the swivel section together are gonna be somewhat expensive, on top of a good amount of labor to do the job. Move on to the Johnson if it's solid and runs (with even compression of course).

1datsroj

Cadet

Bah ... I was afraid of that. I was partial to the evinrude as it was my neighbors and he was the only owner and the inside looks like it was never touched. The Johnson on the other hand musta been opened up many times with out the right sized sockets and screwdrivers lol.

Thank you for the advice and I will look into getting a compression tester.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If they're close in years and hp, you could always make one out of two.

1datsroj

Cadet

I picked up a cheap 30.00 tester from Orileys auto parts today and the Johnson pulled 75 top and bottom. The Evinrude did a touch better comming in with 80 on both. I did it 3 times on each cylinder. However I was to lazy to pull so I put a 3/4 socket on my cordless figuring I could get more even or acurate readings.

The years are close 69 E and 73 J and both 9.5's. I spoke to a shop today and was told that it would me more to fix it than the motor is worth figuring it would be 4-5 hours of labor at 100. hr plus parts. I do happen to have a bid on ebay for a part, if I win it perhaps someday I will attempt it unless if I need parts off it for the johnson.

awe well, at least this will keep me from maybe tearing something else up. I wanted to try putting em both on the boat and tightening up one swivel straight and using the other to steer. DOH !

kodibass

It is not that hard of a job, the ticket is to take your time, and good video.. I tore into one I got for free that came with a parts motor in a box, I just went along nice and slow, I needed the video when I put her back together but I was able to paint things while apart now she runs and looks great, These are great little kickers!

1datsroj

Cadet

Well guys, looks like Im into it now. Tonight I won a bid for a new swivel assembly with the transom bracket. Now I need to find the port side lower cover and figure out what gaskets I will need to replace when I tear her down.

Great idea with the video, I would never be able to remember what I did with out it.

Ive been looking for manuals on Ebay and would like to ask which one would be best for the task ahead. I found a owners, parts, and service manual.
Thanks again

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you can find an OEM factory service manual that would be the best. Seloc and Clymer suck.

1datsroj

Cadet

9.5 manual.jpgThanks for the heads up, I found this one on ebay (pic below) and it should be arriving in the next few days. I also was able to find a link to a gerenic manual, not year or model specific but years 1965-1990 searching google here
www.bimmerbits.com/JE_Manual/JE.htm

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's the best manual you can get.

1datsroj

Cadet

Motor Cover.jpgWOOT WOOT !!

Manual arrived today, Picked up a nice swivel assembly with the transom bracket included for 80. with shippin (on its way)
and yesterday I scored these below on ebay for $ .99 !!! 22. shipping
The Part #'s on the lower covers are a bit different as its off a 68 but I spoke with Evinrude yesterday and they confirmed it would work, just the 69 + part #'s replaced the 68.

Time to read up, figure out what new gaskets Im going to need, and dig in

kodibass

Sweet, I just love the old 9.5 engines I currently have 4, including a long shaft, I'm not happy with the paint job I did on my 1967 model so I will redo it this winter, as well as replacing the motor mounts, good kickers those turtles are.