1996 Johnson 150 - Sometimes will only run with the key held on crank position

allzway

Cadet
I am trying to help my dad diagnose his Johnson outboard engine.

At times, it will not stay running unless the key is held in the cranking position.

The key switch has been replaced and at first appeared to fix it the problem, but has gone back to not working all the time.

Any ideas? Or things we can test?

Thanks,

James

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 150 - Sometimes will only run with the key held on crank position

Look at your starter solenoid and see if you see two yellow/ red wires. If you do, disconnect the one that goes to the pack and put the other one back on. Then try it and see if it will start. Get back to us.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 150 - Sometimes will only run with the key held on crank position

James, That motor probably puts battery voltage into the powerpack, when the motor is cranking. I know my '98 Johnny 150HPV6 does that. So if it has spark when battery power is applied to the powerpack, and none whe it is suppposed to be powered solely by the stator, that would point to a bad stator, right? Maybe the stator wires are corroded?

See if you can ohm it out.

SparkieBoat

Captain

a DVA adapter is cheap and the best way to test your outboards electronics. link to a cheap adapter and free troubleshooting guide are in my sig below.

allzway

Cadet

Thanks everyone... this gives us a few things to test this week.

James