Evinrude 1970 25 hp, How do I wire the starter/solenoid/Battery

JMZurita

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 1970 25 hp Evinrude. I would now like to wire it to a starter. I cannot see a solenoid. Do I need to get one? And if so, what kind. I also need a scheme on how to link the starter to the rest...

Can someone help me?

I don't know much about mechanic and I normally speak french. So thanks in advance for your tips and patience!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 1970 25 hp, How do I wire the starter/solenoid/Battery

Yes, you need a starter solenoid that has two large cable terminals (1/2" Nuts) and two small terminals (3/8" Nuts).

Large type RED battery cable from the Positive (+) battery terminal to one of the large solenoid terminals. This will be terminal #1.

Large type BLACK battery cable from the Negative (-) battery terminal to ground.

Large RED battery cable from other solenoid terminal to electric starter. This will be terminal #2.

Smaller normal wire from solenoid terminal #1 to one connection of a 2 connector type starter type Push Button.
Same type wire from other connection of Push Button to one of the small 3/8" nut terminals of the starter solenoid.

Same type smaller normal BLACK wire from other 3/8" terminal of the starter solenoid to a ground.

JMZurita

Cadet

Thanks That is very helpful. This forum is amazing. Since I've bought that motor I've found many answers to my questions just by surfing around. It's the first thread I post and I wasn't sure someone would give me a feedback. I'm positively impressed! Thanks again...

Two last questions if I may...

1. The question might sounds a little na?ve, but if I go to the store to purchase the solenoid, I just ask for a "starter solenoid that has two large cable terminals (1/2" Nuts) and two small terminals (3/8" Nuts)"? Or do I need to ask for a precise model that fits my Evinrude?

2. I know that I can fix something on the carb to reset remotly the choke once the motor is started. Do you know were I can find more info about that?

Thanks again for the all the tips and patience. It much appreciated...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Do you have the starter bracket on you engine?
Are you wiring it with a key switch in a console or a push button on the engine?
Take a look at the site below, I know the ignition is different than your engine, but the starter wiring would work.
http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/1973-76_18-25.jpg

JMZurita

Cadet

Sorry I'm not sure of what exactly the starter bracket is(Translating all these very technical words is sometime difficult for me). But I think I do. (Is there a site where I can find an exploded scheme of my motor? I've been looking for one desperately)

The stater scheme is helpful for understanding precisely the whole idea. And I think I'll be able to make it work by myself.

All this mechanic stuff is pretty new for me. But I just fell in love with it. I'm very eager about learning more and more. So thanks again for your answers. They are very appreciated and It's great that people share there knowledge like that... thanks again...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

So your engine does NOT have electric start on it now?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

1. The question might sounds a little na?ve, but if I go to the store to purchase the solenoid, I just ask for a "starter solenoid that has two large cable terminals (1/2" Nuts) and two small terminals (3/8" Nuts)"? Or do I need to ask for a precise model that fits my Evinrude?

2. I know that I can fix something on the carb to reset remotly the choke once the motor is started. Do you know were I can find more info about that?

The older style Evinrude/Johnson outboard starter solenoids were metal. The later style are of a bakelite material. Either style will be fine but the advantage of the bakelite style is that there's no danger of having the case short out to ground if near hot (voltage) wires. JUst be sure it has two large terminals and two smaller terminals as explained previously. If you state that the solenoid is for a Evinrude or Johnson outboard (and the other party knows what they're doing), you should be okay.

The choke question.... sorry but I'm afraid you're on your own there. All I could do is to recommend the proper carburetor which incorporates the choke solenoid ($$$$$).

JMZurita

Cadet

Yes there is.

I just wasn't sure on what the "bracket" referred to. But I've solved my translating problems!

JMZurita

Cadet

My motor is in the country, and right now I'm in the city. So I'll know for sure only tomorrow the exact model.

There is definitely a bracket like that on the motor. Is it exactly the same one? Don't know. But it's pretty much the same.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

The reason I wanted the model number is that I could not find 1970 25hp with electric start and was woundering if someone added it to the engine.

JMZurita

Cadet

I know that the electric starter is the genuine one.