Hopefully unburned oil

mykull

Recruit
IMAG0258.jpg

Hello. I have a Johnson 28 spl. Ive been reading around the site before posting and it sounds like I may be fine but it doesn't seem like it to me. I know you get asked this a lot and I apologize, so I tried to put a pic in so you can see. Is this what your saying is normal? I did check the lower unit and the oil looks good and not leaking. The person I bought the boat from only fished an idle only lake for 2 yrs and never opened the engine up. When I ran the engine in a tub of water I would get little black particles, like crust. From what I'm reading that's carbon build up and normal. This is my 1st boat so you can see why I'm so concerned. Thank you

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hopefully unburned oil

Well that is your lower unit drain hole. If you run your outboard in a tub or barrel for any amount of time, eventually the oil is going to end up in the water. If you continually run it in that tub, it will continue to recirculate through the motor or end up in the lower unit housing. Is that a picture of the lower unit having sat for a while? Or right out of the barrel?

hidef

Lieutenant

That is unburnt two cycle oil and most likely smells of gas also. What you are seeing is typical of running an engine in a barrel.

mykull

Recruit

Well that is your lower unit drain hole. If you run your outboard in a tub or barrel for any amount of time, eventually the oil is going to end up in the water. If you continually run it in that tub, it will continue to recirculate through the motor or end up in the lower unit housing. Is that a picture of the lower unit having sat for a while? Or right out of the barrel?
Almost 5 mins out of barrel

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is unburnt Oil and Gas collecting in your Exhaust housing. I would do a De-Carb on that motor and then maybe run it in a clean barrel of water with a little bit of liquid soap to clean it all out. I use two to three cups of (Mean Green Degreaser) in my 55gal test barrel :D

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, don't worry about that. Just running it through the lake will take care of it.

mykull

Recruit

Thanks for all the responses. I'm happy to hear its nothing bad. Great site and happy boating to all.

duffsgarage

Recruit

Thanks for all the responses. I'm happy to hear its nothing bad. Great site and happy boating to all.

I diverted the unburnt oil/gas by blocking the top drain hole (before it goes down the shaft) and drilling a hole and tapping in a hose barb then installing a clear tube and rerouting the oil/gas back to the gas tank.