93 Johnson 150 Fast Strike Silver Star Series Problem

nwabass609

Cadet
Motor runs fine out of water on the muffs, but when put in the water, will run well for a short while. Then, when you go to start it up it will idle fine and die when I give it gas. Whenever it's acting up, the spring loaded lever on the flywheel that moves forward as you give it gas won't move at all. I can get the boat from place to place by pulling that lever while in idle and having a buddy put it into gear and letting it creep along with the lever pulled until I can let it go without it dying. After that it runs fine with no loss of power whatsoever. Until I go to start it up again on the water.

I have cleaned the carburetors with spray.

I inspected the spark plugs. All had oil on them. Possible clogged fuel jets in carburetors?

Fuel filter inside the motor looks fine. Don't see any debris at all inside of it.

Bulb stays tight after it dies. Don't think it's a fuel pump issue.

The fact that it doesn't act up on the muffs makes me believe it's gunked up carburetors. The stress on the motor of pushing the boat onto plane takes more fuel than just revving it up out of water. I figure the jets just aren't supplying the fuel needed. However the lever on the flywheel not engaging is interesting but it doesn't happen when the boat is out of water.

Any thoughts?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 93 Johnson 150 Fast Strike Silver Star Series Problem

the spring loaded lever is your timing advance. this must be working properly for your motor to run right. you need to do a link and sync, make sure all of your linkage is in good shape and not bent/broken. you may need to dis assemble the lever and clean the plastic parts good with a degreaser. do not grease the plastic as it will attract dirt and cause it to stick. some silicone spray is ok.

nwabass609

Cadet

the spring loaded lever is your timing advance. this must be working properly for your motor to run right. you need to do a link and sync, make sure all of your linkage is in good shape and not bent/broken. you may need to dis assemble the lever and clean the plastic parts good with a degreaser. do not grease the plastic as it will attract dirt and cause it to stick. some silicone spray is ok.

What about the oil on the spark plugs? Is this normal?

SparkieBoat

Captain

oil is mixed with your gas..so oil will be on your plugs..you need to fix your timing advance first, then check out everything else.

nwabass609

Cadet

sorry for being such a noob lol. But do I have to remove the flywheel to get to the timing advance? If so or if not, how do I take it off to clean it?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

sorry for being such a noob lol. But do I have to remove the flywheel to get to the timing advance? If so or if not, how do I take it off to clean it?

you dont clean it...YOU SET IT...it is a slow step by step process of adjusting several moving items to coincide with each other....you will really need a factoy manual to follow it along....

personally i would have the carbs rebuilt before I did the LYNC and SYNC

you want to make sure the motor is running good( is ready to run good) before you adjust the timing....

lync and sync is a short term for Synchonization of the throttle linkages to the timing advance of the motor.....
lots of things going on and they need to happen as a function of each other.....

good luck

bob

SparkieBoat

Captain

sometimes you may need to clean the plastic parts, I have seen them get greasy and gritty and start sticking, but I did also mention the link and sync in post #2. he said that when he advanced the throttle the timer arm/lever was not moving, this would suggest a linkage issue for sure.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The timer base on the flywheel cover is hanging up. OMC had some of those covers out of print when manufactured causing this prob. I've cured a number of these probs with a dremel tool.