1969 Evinrude 115hp Distributor question

Camaro-95

Cadet
I am currently in the process of removing a bad piston. From what I've learned I had to remove the flywheel/distributor cap/rotor, and now I'm at the bottom of the distributor and I'm stuck. There is some sort of pressed on ring on the end of the crankshaft and the bottom of the distributor is stuck on that piece and I need to know how to remove it. I have a manual on this engine but it does not tell me how to remove it. Could someone please help me out and let me know what must be done next. I need to split the crankcase and the top cover is the only thing holding me back. On the 3rd picture is the plate I'm trying to remove. Thanks. IMG_20120423_224939 - Copy.jpgIMG_20120423_224945 - Copy.jpgIMG_20120423_224950 - Copy.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1969 Evinrude 115hp Distributor question

The notched sensor ring is a mild press fit on the crankshaft. Use a pair of screwdrivers, one on each side, to gently pry it up. Yeah, be careful, they can break. But not often, 'cause I've removed lots of them and haven't broken one----yet.

Camaro-95

Cadet

I will give it a shot tonight, thank you. Is there a specific way it needs to be set back on like a specific way.. I noticed it has an arrow on it which tells me it probably does? Also how do you go about getting it reinstalled?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is a pin driving it. Can't go any other way. Just tap it back down with whatever you have handy. A short piece of tubing or pipe might work.

Camaro-95

Cadet

Thank you very much, got it off. working on getting the top seal off now. I do have to ask, does the entire engine need to be removed from the unit to get the crankcase cover off? There are 2 bolts on the very bottom that I seem to not be able to get to and I also read that the lower crankshaft cap has 4 bolts securing it to the case so I am a little stumped on the rest of this.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You have to pull the p/h from the exhaust hsg to disassemble it. By the way, if for some reason you ever get a high speed miss in the mtr the rotor you're removing is the old style one and could cause the miss. Some mtrs did it and some didn't. Been through it.

Camaro-95

Cadet

Ok, thats where I'm at currently. I've removed front 2 motor mounts, few bolts from underneith, but I can't find the rest of the bolts needed to remove the ph.