Where do I get a wiring diagram for an 85 hp johnson?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone sugest some web sights that I can get a free wiring diagram for my 1971 85 hp johnson? A person I know gave this outboard to me, he said it "I've had it running", but all of the wiers are corroded so I need to find a wiring diagram to fix it. If anyone can help me it would much appreciated.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Where do I get a wiring diagram for an 85 hp johnson?

Not sure about a free one but one of the best investments you could make in your motor is a service manual and they have the diagrams in there. Check outboardbooks.com

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

does it have an alternator? if so send me your email and i will try to get it to you

F_R

Supreme Mariner

All 1971 85hp Johnsons have an alternator.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you say alternator, do you mean the charging system under the flywheel?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I mean the stator.

buckeye_paul

Cadet

I found this in an old book. Hope it helps!scan0002.jpg

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
thank you N1NE1 for sending me that diagram. Its helped me so much!
Also thank you buckeye_paul.
Still working on it, but with school in the way it might be a little while yet.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi,
is there any way i can by-pass the red plug and still get the motor running because the one on my 85 johnson has been cut off and trying to work out how to start it.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi,
is there any way i can by-pass the red plug and still get the motor running because the one on my 85 johnson has been cut off and trying to work out how to start it.

For that matter, is it eaven possible?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

NOTE: This engine IS NOT a 1971 85hp model Johnson..... IT IS a 1977 85hp model Johnson! DISREGARD all and any posts/replies pertaining to a 1971 model! (Edited 05/15/12)

hi,

Hmmmm... Wondering why anyone would cut the main electrical plug off. Is the plug missing from the engine wiring harness or from the instrument wiring harness that would plug into it? However....................

Rest of message deleted.... pertained to a 1971 85hp model (error).

Last edited:

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thank you joe reeves,
the red plug is cut off on the engine wiring harness, dont know why. but I'll give it a shot!
And also you said "Run a small jumper wire from the positive (+) side of the battery cable connection at the starter solenoid to the wire that supplies voltage to the pulsepack at the terminal strip. (Supplies power to pack/ignition)" what colour wirre/s would that be?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmmm... Wondering why anyone would cut the main electrical plug off. Is the RED plug missing from the engine wiring harness or from the instrument wiring harness that would plug into it? However....................

Hook up the battery as normal to starter solenoid and powerhead ground.

Run a small jumper wire from the positive (+) side of the battery cable connection at the starter solenoid to the wire that supplies voltage to the pulsepack at the terminal strip. (Supplies power to pack/ignition)

Make absolutely sure that the throttle is only slightly open. You do not want that engine to start at a high rpm!

Another small jumper wire from the positive battery cable at the starter solenoid to the small 3/8" nut terminal of the same solenoid will cause the starter to engage and crank the engine over.

You can run another jumper to engage the choke or operate it manually.

If the engine starts and runs, you can stop it by simply disconnecting the small jumper that leads to the pulsepack. (Eliminate the ignition)

Make sure your life and hospitalization insurance is paid up!

hi,
I tried jump starting the engine like you said, but no luck and when and you say "pulsepack" is that the reflicter? If you can, can you show me a picture of one, so I know if my motor has one. That would be much apreciated.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

hi,
I tried jump starting the engine like you said, but no luck and when and you say "pulsepack" is that the reflicter? If you can, can you show me a picture of one, so I know if my motor has one. That would be much apreciated.

No luck with what? Cranking the engine over with the electric starter OR having the engine actually start? Be specific when possible.

Rest of message deleted.... pertained to a 1971 85hp model (error).

Last edited:

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
I had a bit of trouble cranking over the engine withe spark plugs in but when they were out, it was fine but couldn't get ingition from the spark plugs. didn't eaven get a small shock from them when I put my finger on them, but I think I hooked up the wrong wire. I hooked up the red wire coming from the reflictor to the plus side of the solenoid. But thanks any way I'll give it another shot today.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
you said "The voltage supply wire would be "purple". Is that wire comeing strait from the powerpack or tose that wire go to the terminal block and then come out? Also if that dosent work is there any trouble shooting methods you can suggest. Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Message deleted.... pertained to a 1971 85hp model (error).

Last edited:

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
I dont think the powerpack has been replaced, it looks pretty orrigonal. there are no purple wires coming from the powerpack but there is a purple wire coming from the terminal block. Is that the wire your talking about?