Morse MT3 control with 33C cables no reverse

Gregb5220

Recruit
Hi, I built a boat over the winter and am in the final stages..I have a used Morse MT3 single lever throttle used in excellent condition, and brand new 33c teleflex cables. I cant get foward and reverse to sync correctly. Its paired to a 1990 70 hp evinrude VRO with the correct adapter kit on the motor side. Its not the motor because I can shoft it manually with no cables attached. I have the foward clutch and I can push it wide open (throttle part works fine). However it will not move from nuetral to reverse. No gas or clutch..any ideas??? Thanks!

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Morse MT3 control with 33C cables no reverse

You have to adjust the controls to engine. You want to start with the outboard in neutral and the throttle closed. Next make sure the controls are in neutral and set to idle after positively identifying the throttle cable and the shift cable. I like to install the shift cable first it should slip right into place if it doesn't adjust the cable until it does. Then connect the throttle cable it also should slip right into place if it doesn't adjust the cable until it does. You never adjust the outboard to fit the controls and cables.

gkm24

Cadet

I am looking to set up the same with my 1988 Johnson 70Hp VRO. What cables/ connectors did you use as I have been told its not possible but I am sure it is as you have proved.
Thanks for any help.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Greg, does that control have several optional holes for attaching the cable end to the shifter lever? Most Morse Controls do. If so, do you have it in the right hole? The farther away from the lever's pivot point, the longer the cable travel or "throw".