1978 johnson 70 hp single lever remote side mount shifter/throttle.

Charles King

Seaman Apprentice
This control station has a toggle switch under the key starter switch. Not shown on any parts diagram for johnson/evinrude. Since there is a "horn" in the control station, is it a test/activator?
These control station parts diagrams only show one cable.
My urgent problem is that there is no information that i can find as to how the two cables,throttle/shift-neutral,warm up lever is installed and adjusted. It also has tilt/trim control in handle which is simple and works fine.
I can move the control handle hard into neutral and crank over o k. It makes the neutral interlock start switch. Handle will not move to forward position, but will move to reverse position.
I have wasted money on a clymers outboard shop manual for 48-235 hp**1973-1990 motors. Not much help![/size][/b]

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 johnson 70 hp single lever remote side mount shifter/throttle.

The control box is one of the older versions. The toggle switch is a choke toggle for the electric choke.

If you attempt to shift into either gear without the engine running, it will be necessary to spin the propeller to align the shift lobes on the dog and gears.

hidef

Lieutenant

You have to identify with cable is the throttle and which cable is the gear selector. The easiest way is to move the fast idle lever up and see which cable moves. to hookup the controls do the folllowing;

1. Make sure the controls are in neutral and the fast idle lever all the way down
2. Make sure the outboard is in neutral and the throttle is closed.
3. install the gear selector cable on the outboard you might have to adjust the black knurled knob in or out so that the cable slips in to place.
4 install the throttle cable once again you might need to adjust the cable so that it slips on with out have to fight with the engine.

Charles King

Seaman Apprentice

I will try spinning the Prop as you suggest. Thanks

hidef

Lieutenant

With the cables disconnected from the engine check to see how easy the controls move. If they are stiff you might need new cables you might all have to take the controls a part and grease them up.