1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 HP engine

midget777

Recruit
I picked up a 1956 fisherman, model number 5512, serial number 13300. It came with a cruise a day tank. I think it's been sitting for about 15 years. I have replaced the spark plugs, replaced the gaskets and the dual line on the tank.

I ran into a couple of problems:
1. The tube that runs down into the tank that has the filter on it, seems to be frozen up. I can't get air through it either way. I currently have it soaking in some PB blaster trying to free it up. Is that what I should be doing? Do I probably need to purchase another one? Can I purchase one?

2. The fuel lines that run from the carb to the connector that hooks to the fuel line that runs to the tank are cracked and need to be replaced. What kind of fuel line should I pick up? Is that something I can buy at a marine shop, or online? Can I replace the existing clams with normal number 4 hose clamps, or should I try to use the ones they have. They look to be original.

I am new to this, but am really excited. It seems like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the advice.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 HP engine

All the fuel line will be dry rotted and will need to be replaced. You can either get it at NAPA or your local dealer. Any clamps will do, as long as they are tight for functionality.

You should also open up the carb and give it a clean/rebuild. The ignition will also need to be looked at, if the coils are original they are toast and will need to be replaced. Same for the impeller, it is now dry rotted and will break apart on start up. Change it along with the gear oil.

Lots of steps, so if you need help with any in particualr let us know.

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use 30R7 fuel line for my 1956 7.5, not sure about the hose clamps you can try and reuse them, if all else fails tie wraps work well. Keep in mind these beautiful lil motors are notorious for breaking the shock absorber down in the lower unit, don't want to hit anything at all cost if you can help it, stumps, rocks, and grounding. As far as the pressure tank goes, I always took them apart, removing the 8 screws will open it up for access. I could be wrong on this maybe one of the Ol timers here will chime in on this, but I think you need fuel in the tank in order to open the foot valve. Good Luck.

midget777

Recruit

photo.JPG

This is the piece that I can't get any air, fuel to run through. Is there a way to get the filter off without ruining it? Or do I need to replace it?

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

View attachment 141995

This is the piece that I can't get any air, fuel to run through. Is there a way to get the filter off without ruining it? Or do I need to replace it?

That is a one way valve, it's most probably gummed up and needs to be cleaned, you could try Boiling it in a pot of water or soak it in Chem-dip. If you use Chem-dip you may need to add some down the tube and this should clean it out. If you don't have chem-dip or don't want to mess with it you could use Carb Cleaner.

kfa4303

Banned

agreed aerosol carb cleaner works well at removing old crud. here are some hand links that can walk you through a top to bottom tune up. you can get virtually any part you may need right here at iboats. it shouldn't cost more than $100 to rebuild the carb, ignition, replace the fuel lines and oil seals. Good luck. Holler if you get stuck.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index6.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

nwcove

Admiral

you should really do a compression test before you start spending $$$$.

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't add much to help you out... but I like that motor!

Let us know how you do with getting her going again.