Carburetor Adjustment on 1981 Evinrude 35 Horse

Seatex

Cadet
I set the low idle on my carburetor this evening using the instructions from the secret file, but I still have an issue. The motor will idle at 750 rpm for about a minute and then it spits back "hard" and dies. I started it back up and ran it at about 950 rpm and it ran for about 2 minutes then it spit back "hard" and died. It doesn't seem to be running rough while it's idling but then suddenly spits back and dies. It runs fine mid-range say around 1500 to 2000 rpm.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carburetor Adjustment on 1981 Evinrude 35 Horse

If pumping the fuel primer bulb constantly (acting as a manual fuel pump) corrects the problem, then either there's a fuel/air leak at some point between the fuel pump and the fuel supply OR the fuel pump is failing.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You might also try opening the low speed jet another 1/2 turn and see if it helps.

Seatex

Cadet

OK, I found a couple of leaks around the hoses going to the fuel pump and fixed those. I also took a good look at the retainer on the low idle needle and decided it needed replacing. Took care of all that and readjusted it again and she is running like she's supposed to.

Thanks to all,

Seatex