Decarbing 88spl getting mixed advice on how long to let soak...using Seafoam to do it

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
I hear anywhere from 4 hours to overnight on decarb process.
Any input on this? Also anybody see a problem using Seafoam? I have found it to be a wonderful product that saved me a carb. teardown just running it through fuel.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Decarbing 88spl getting mixed advice on how long to let soak...using Seafoam to d

Are you looking to do a decarbonize or clean the carburetors due to a running issue? If just doing a decabonize, run motor until at temp, spray Seafoam in carbs until it stalls then pull plugs and spray Seafoam in cylinders then put plugs back in. Let sit awhile then restart. Best to do this on the water so you can run it out and not make the neighbors mad from the smoke that's going to be made. Seafoam is an O.K. maintenance product but will not do the job of proper carb cleaners. If you are having running issues, you need to do a teardown of the carbs to do it right.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Decarbing 88spl getting mixed advice on how long to let soak...using Seafoam to d

I usually do as rockyrude suggested, might let it set for 20-30 minutes.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always used BRP Engine Tuner, followed the directions on the can and had excellent results with it.

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best to do this on the water so you can run it out and not make the neighbors mad from the smoke that's going to be made.

One time I did that while spraying into the carbs waiting for it to die and I had anchored off in the lagoon about 300 yards from the shore of a golf course. The engine didn't want to die and kept chugging and belching white smoke that was a thick white cloud that drifted on shore. I think what made it so bad was there were other boats screaming by and with the wake was hard to balance and keep a steady stream of carbon cleaner going inside the throat of the carb. It really made them golfers mad. This golf course was on a military base, so they complained enough to have the on base police drive their little white pickup and talk to the boater in the water over the PA system to move further away...:D Problem was I couldn't start it without belching more smoke. So if you do it on the water go somewhere that will remain quiet.

MRneatfreak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also you can use whatever to do this job, seafoam or that "special" can of juice the marina sells at a marked up price of 500%

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have a neighbor problem but I hare to rev up engine w no load. Maybe I'll do it at the launch then run it wot for a few minutes
Thanks for the input
Todd

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's never a good idea to rev the motor much above idle with no load on it unless you really want to destroy it.

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hear anywhere from 4 hours to overnight on decarb process.
Any input on this? Also anybody see a problem using Seafoam? I have found it to be a wonderful product that saved me a carb. teardown just running it through fuel.

I use Marine Motor De-Carb made by ValvTect this is basically an engine overhaul in a can and worth it's weight in gold IMO. The whole process takes about half an hour, loosens stuck rings in minutes and cleans the whole engine out. :cool:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

forty years ago we didn't have seafoam or any other engine decarbs for that matter. We used ATF (automatic transmission fluid) Got the engine warm poured ATF slowly through the carbs at fast idle for a bit then enough to stall it. Let sit for 20 min. Get it started, not so easy. Then watch the carbon blow out at WOT until it stopped smoking. Worked like a champ, cheap to. Had an old merc 70hp with no forward and reverse the whole darn engine ran forwards and backwords. Turned it from a dog into a screamin machine with one .39 cent quart of ATF. Probably still work today. Did it on old car engines too. Then put in new plugs.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

lol on the atf! I'll stick to seafoam.
Thanks for the stories and advice...off to do it now

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Hey, the ATF does work as I have a friend who winterizes his mtr with it and never any probs. Forty yrs ago we had OMC Marine Guard which cleaned out the carbon. The ATF trick does work as I've done it

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I finished my decarb today with running at wot after all above suggestions but with seafoam. Doesnt make as much smoke as I anticipated but after it cleared out my 88spl sounded better and ran about 100 prms faster and 2 knots.
I'm happy I went through the trouble and the wife and I had a pleasant cruise afterwards.
I tell ya, that '93 88spl has just been a fantastic motor. Only had it 7 mos and already feel like I know it inside and out. Sooo easy to work on.
Of course with the help of the great team on the iBoats forum!!!!!:)