1978 johnson 25 hp tiller steer jumps out of gear until it warms up.

changetires

Seaman Apprentice
It does this every time. Runs great when it stays in gear. Do I need to adjust the shift linkage or is there some other problem?

tks,

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1978 johnson 25 hp tiller steer jumps out of gear until it warms up.

Is it actually jumping out of gear or is it slipping?
Could you have a spun prophub?
Is there any metal particles in the lower unit oil?
Have you checked the linkage, is it in proper adjustment?
Could be a ctutch dog/gear problem.

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 78 25 hp evinrude that would feel like it's hitting a stump at full throttle. Motor would fling up and re engage and go for a bit more then boom fling up. It was a shot forward gear and clutch dog. Ears were worn out. Hopefully that isn't your problem because the forward gear for the 78 was only made for one year and is not cheap to replace. Clutch dog was used on the early 70's models through 1978, but still pretty expensive as well. When does it seem that it is jumping out of gear?

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

Only does it until it warms up....when it does it I can reach back and pull the shifter back into forward with no problems...after it warms up she is ready to go

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you mean once the powerhead warms up it doesn't malfunction?

Has it always done this or have you recently worked on something?

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

Warms up is referring to the motor running, in forward gear and idling along....I usually do this for about a half mile or so and then can go to WOT and no problems. I bought the motor used and it didnt do this for the first couple of weeks and then all of a sudden it started doing it.

AlTn

Commander

crack the gearcase drain screw a little until it starts to drain...observe how much, if any, water comes, the color of the lube, and if any metal particles are present....the drain screw and vent screw both take a straight slot screwdriver leave the phillips head screw alone

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

Warms up is referring to the motor running, in forward gear and idling along....I usually do this for about a half mile or so and then can go to WOT and no problems. I bought the motor used and it didnt do this for the first couple of weeks and then all of a sudden it started doing it.

Finally found the problem.........The J_hook that tells the safety switch that the boat is out of gear was bent due to rusting has finally fallen off thus letting the gear shift lever to fully engage. Now the motor will not start unless I take the cover off and push in the switch. For that reason I started a new thread to bypass the switch.