What is correct clearance for reed valves ...

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is correct clearance for reed valves in my 1983 15hp Johnson?

Or, do they just lie flush against the leaf valve assembly plate?

xjma

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What is correct clearance for reed valves ...

They should life flush. If they're sticking up, replace them.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I second that.

powerslide

Seaman Apprentice

what else should i be looking for when i take the manifold off and look at the reeds?

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The valves should not be broken, there should be no missing (broken) pieces around the edges.
I have not seen specs for Johnson reed valve allowable clearances.
On the '99 Mercury 25HP the allowable clearance is 0.007 in. (0.178 mm) or less.

Peter

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Be sure the reed plate is smooth & free of rust or debris & the reeds are totally covering the holes in the plate when you tighten them back down. Yes, replace them, however I have flopped them over in a pinch.

That year & hp should be about the time they also put a steel spacer under the reed stops to allow it to breathe more for the 15hp

Be sure the gaskets are right, the two are slightly different between the powerhead / reed plate. Also be careful as to not allow the gasket to slip inward on the bottom, which will block a reed, making that cylinder run lean & you will suck a piston after a few hours of run time.

xjma

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, there are clearances for the reed valves, but basically if you can see that they aren't sitting flush, replace them. I agree that you can get away with flipping them in a pinch, but don't do that and forget about them or it will come back to bite you at a bad time. Do it to get out on a small calm lake while you wait for your reeds to come in, not to go out into the ocean though!!

If you remove the screws holding them down, clean the threads very well and loc tite them in there. If you leave oil and such on the threads the loc tite won't work.

If a reed breaks out on the water you can cut a credit card to size and use that to get back to the dock/launch. It won't run well, but if you do it right it will run. Unfortunately, I can tell you for sure that ING orange account card with no raised letters actually work pretty well.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

If a reed breaks out on the water you can cut a credit card to size and use that to get back to the dock/launch. It won't run well, but if you do it right it will run. Unfortunately, I can tell you for sure that ING orange account card with no raised letters actually work pretty well.

That is amazing!
If the broken off components of the reed valve got ingested into the engine (good chance of that), I would not want to run the engine before those pieces are out.

Peter