Converting 55hp Rude from remote to tiller.

Thunderhawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone, I was thinking of saving some floor space in a 14' trihull fishing boat by getting rid of the console and converting a good running 55hp into a tiller control. No handle controls, just lever steering. Too torquey? unsafe? Any thoughts.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting 55hp Rude from remote to tiller.

I wonder how you propose to install the tiller on that motor??

Thunderhawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was thinking a 3 point attachment, 2 on the lower cover and the main on the steering arm. I am concerned the lower cover will not take alot of stress. This would only be for steering, I would relocate the remote controls towards the stern. I would also build in a stablizer or damper system. Would this motor be controlable, IE not alot of torque steer. I seems pretty mild with the current cable steer setup. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Yes you can do it. I recently bought a 1997 Johnson that had both tiller and remote controls. The tiller was mounted to the steering arm assy. on the front of the motor. Basically they removed the steering control arm, installed the tiller adapter plate and bolted the tiller onto the steering. worked fine. If there is too much torque you can adjust the trim tab on the gearcase to compensate somewhat.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Here's what it looks like. Two bolts from the tiller bracket onto the steering arm assy.

Here's your basic tiller arm with adapter plate.

tiller arm adapter plate.jpg

Here you can see how the two bolt holes line up on the steering arm. (remove the stainless steering bar if you are not using remote)

tiller and steering arm.jpg

Thunderhawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey, thanks for the response, the steering arm on the 55hp is very similar, although it looks slightly thinner. Do you think the arm alone is robust enough to attach a fabricated arm directly to it? I'll attach a pic of the tube and arm assembly. It's # 43 in the illustration. Thanks

Attachments

• steering arm.jpg
    steering arm.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0

Thunderhawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BTW trendsetter, what HP was the 97 Johnson that you had an adapted tiller handle on?