03 Johnson 3.5 hp Fly wheel wont turn

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 03 Johnson 3.5 hp Fly wheel wont turn

this is one strange thread right here. Could you post a pic of this flywheel? I cant understand how it came off without a puller

It didn't. I'm wondering if the OP actually ever pulled it. Piece of advice for you Willy. When the boys on here with massive amounts of posts give you a simple thing to check, there is a reason for it. I'm not trying to be a jerk. The only way to find your problem is by checking these simple areas ONE PIECE at a time. It is all very simple mechanical stuff.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Another thing to consider. If you did not put oil on the impeller before getting it back into the waterpump housing, it may be also preventing the flywheel from free spinning, but that is only when the L/U is back on. Get yourself a flywheel puller and pull that joker up.

nwcove

Admiral

i too have never heard of a flywheel that could be just lifted off !!! i only mess with small motors.....and just placing a flywheel onto the taper usually makes it impossible to lift it off by hand. sounds like more to this thread than is being told.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

willclay, does the motor have the safety "lock out" that will not allow the flywheel to turn if the throttle is to far past the "start" area?

IKR! And if it does there is a chance that the motor itself is stuck in forward, preventing the starter gear from engaging.

willclay79

Cadet

HaHa Pete! I understand your hard time in believing it as I am a man and definitely prone to not reading directions! I went back and looked at the manual to see what I had highlighted and I was half right. SELOC manual page 6-2 "4-strokes dont require such a tool" (flywheel puller). Mine is a 2 stroke so a little fast reading on my part. However I really did pull the fly wheel out the first time after pulling off the bolts. i will be posting a pick of the fly wheel

Attachments

• PICT0073.jpg
    PICT0073.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PICT0075.jpg
    PICT0075.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0

willclay79

Cadet

NW Cove I am telling you the way it is. This outboard is so simplistic there must be something very small catching up. Thank you for taking the time to respond and help me.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i had the same motor, and i could not to pull flywheel without puler

boobie

Supreme Mariner

From looking at your pics, did you already remove the flywheel nut ??

willclay79

Cadet

Yes I removed the flywheel nut and the pull start housing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

In the state it's in now , can you just pull the flywheel off like you previously posted ???

willclay79

Cadet

PICT0079.jpgPICT0080.jpgI can now. I just got the fly wheel off again so I am posting pictures. The key is perfectly fine.
I have put the lower unit back together again and the gearcase is fine. However when I put it back on, the fly wheel wont turn. I must be missing something that is happening in the midsection of the outboard keeping it from turning.

nwcove

Admiral

I cannot get the motor to turn over at all since the flywheel wont budge. There is absolutely no key in the crankshaft in the lower unit. When the outboard is shifted into forward the crankshaft rod raises. When it is put into neutral the rod is lowered and stops the clutch spring.
Why doesnt the powerhead turn now?
What am I missing???
the "crankshaft rod" , do you mean the shift rod, or the drive shaft? did the shift rod happen to come out of the lu when you pulled it apart to do the water pump work? will the lu shift from neutral to forward when its removed from the midsection?

willclay79

Cadet

The drive shaft stays intact with the lower unit while the shift road stays intact with the powerhead. The shift road never came out at all.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you need an OEM factory service manual for this mtr.

willclay79

Cadet

So after all that it was a stuck piston. a little marvel Mystery Oil did the trick. Thanks for everyone chiming in with their thoughts.
Until next time, and problem, over and out!