03 Johnson 3.5 hp Fly wheel wont turn

willclay79

Cadet
I just replaced my impellar on my 2003 Johnson 3.5 hp outboard and when I put everything back together the prop wont turn clockwise. The pullstart wont work either as the fly wheel is stuck. Any clue as to why???

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 03 Johnson 3.5 hp Fly wheel wont turn

take out pulley starter and look if flywheel key is not broken

take down lower unit, to take out driveshaft away from crank and check if crank spin

willclay79

Cadet

Thank you raczekp1. The starter pulley I did pull off and check and the plastic key is not broken and engages correctly. When the lower unit was off I still wasn't able to turn the drive shaft manually. It is really just stuck. Is there a safety mechanism that may not be aligned correctly? The manual is no help in this troubleshooting.
Thanks for your help!

raczekp1

Lieutenant

flywheel key is under nut, this nut holds flywheel to cranhshaft

tak out spark plug,aply some wd40 into cylinder
take a kay(wrench) and slowly turn the nut forth and back

you changed the water pump impeler, maybe you just overheated the motor and just sized?

nwcove

Admiral

willclay, does the motor have the safety "lock out" that will not allow the flywheel to turn if the throttle is to far past the "start" area?

willclay79

Cadet

I will try the flywheel key, thanks.

Nmcove thanks for the advice but I am not sure what the safety lockout is. I will check the manual then the throttle positioning and let you know, thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Does the mtr turn over with the g/c removed ? If it does, you have g/c probs.

willclay79

Cadet

I cannot get the motor to turn over at all since the flywheel wont budge. There is absolutely no key in the crankshaft in the lower unit. When the outboard is shifted into forward the crankshaft rod raises. When it is put into neutral the rod is lowered and stops the clutch spring.
Why doesnt the powerhead turn now?
What am I missing???

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Pull the g/c off again and see if the flywheel will turn over. If it does you have a prob in the g/c.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

What they are trying to do is isolate the problem. Take off the lower unit and driveshaft, and take off the recoil starter. If the flywheel does not turn, then there are either internal problems (pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc.) or there is something hanging up under the flywheel.

willclay79

Cadet

Definitely not the gearcase, it turns easily and is perfect. I cant event pull the flywheel out anymore. It seems really stuck in there. Thanks for your help so far!

willclay79

Cadet

Not teh gearcase. Recoil starter is off and the fly wheel wont budge. Now I cant even pull the flywheel out. I just took it out last week fine. Could I have put it in backwards or are the magnets misaligned. The real problem is that eveything worked perfectly before I removed the lower unit to check the water pump. I am guessing I did something simple and stupid!

nwcove

Admiral

Not teh gearcase. Recoil starter is off and the fly wheel wont budge. Now I cant even pull the flywheel out. I just took it out last week fine. Could I have put it in backwards or are the magnets misaligned. The real problem is that eveything worked perfectly before I removed the lower unit to check the water pump. I am guessing I did something simple and stupid!

ok, why did you remove the flywheel last week if you were replacing the impeller??

willclay79

Cadet

I took off the recoil starter and then the fly wheel after I put the lower unit back on. I wanted to see why didnt budge.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you had the flywheel off you may have picked up a stray bolt or nut and it's now locking it up. Is the g/c off of it now ??

willclay79

Cadet

The lower unit is still off. The gears are still intact inside the lower unit as they turn freely when the lower until is separated.
I wanted to check the fly wheel to see if there was anything (like a bolt or not) catching, but I cant even pick up the fly wheel out of the housing anymore. It is simply stuck in there. Very strange...

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Did you not use a flywheel puller?

willclay79

Cadet

I actually didn't Pete. I was able to simply pull it straight out the first time and had no problem. The manual even states not needing one generally on the smaller outboards. Your thoughts?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I have a hard time believing that the manual says that, but I also work on older motors so I am not sure if that makes a difference. If I pull the flywheel to do work, and then simply lay it back down, and tighten the main nut up just to start it, I still NEED to use a puller to get the flywheel back up. Smaller motor or not, you will need a puller to get that flywheel off.

hotshot123

Petty Officer 3rd Class

this is one strange thread right here. Could you post a pic of this flywheel? I cant understand how it came off without a puller