Johnson 150 lower unit 60 or 90 Looper?

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class
So on my new to me boat the gear lube looked fine before the sea trial and was milky afterword. PO had tightened the screw but when I loosened it, I would have had it a bit tighter. Anyways in the manual it talks about a 60 and 90 degree looper, I don't know which I have to reference how to disconnect the shift rod. Pull the pin at the bottom or disconnect the linkage on the side? I wanted to replace the water pump and inspect the seals.
Model J150PXEES
Serial G 04665683

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 150 lower unit 60 or 90 Looper?

So on my new to me boat the gear lube looked fine before the sea trial and was milky afterword. PO had tightened the screw but when I loosened it, I would have had it a bit tighter. Anyways in the manual it talks about a 60 and 90 degree looper, I don't know which I have to reference how to disconnect the shift rod. Pull the pin at the bottom or disconnect the linkage on the side? I wanted to replace the water pump and inspect the seals.
Model J150PXEES
Serial G 04665683

well for one if you popped the cover on your motor and from behind the motor looking at it there is a plastic cover between the heads and it says OIS on it...then you have a 60 degree looper....

another easy way to know if you have a 60 degree looper or a 90 degree crossflow from 1995 and on....is if you can see the flywheel...

if you can its a 90 degree crossflow...the 60 degreelooper flywheel is completely hidden under covers

I am not sure what the shifter linkage dissconnect looks like on the crossflow motors....but someone already posted a picture of what looks like the 60 degree looper proceedure
bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

60 degree loopers have a rectangular upper cowl. 90 degree engines have a more triangular upper cowl.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lower Unit.jpglower Unit Bolt.jpgLower Unit Pump.jpg

Well I got it apart, thanks for the help.
Should I go ahead and put in a new pump kit?
The one rear bolt in the photo does not seem to come out of the case and was real tight to loosen.
Should I put new seals on the drain screws and hope that it was the PO that didn't tighten enough or should I replace seals?

And yes it says OIS and the flywheel is covered so I guess it's a 60 degree looper.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

you dont need to loosen that bolt to undo the shift connection...as a matter of fact you DONT want to!!

just pull the hairpin clip and push the shaft it was in iwards...to push the pin in the block out of the hole in the top of the shift rod....

after reading this thread again..i am left wondering if they even made 90 degree crossflows in the V6 version in the 90s...

I know in V4 they had both styles till 98....

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Seeing you have the g/c off and not disassembled, take it in and have it pressure and vacummed checked. That way you'll know if there is a leak or not. Easy to do when off thr mtr.

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, thanks for the advice. I built my own pressure checker out of gear lube hose, bike pump and air hose parts.
I put the lower unit in the hot tub (please don't tell the admiral) and found it was leaking around the shift rod.
So at this point can I just replace the 2 O rings and gasket around the shift rod, new water pump kit, and might as well do two new drain plugs with washers and call it good?
I was thinking about rinsing out the milky lube with some gas or mineral spirits?