Engine Oil Change, 2004 BRP Johnson 6hp 4Stroke Short Shaft

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Can't afford a manual for this little jewel, never saw a 4 stroke outboard before this one one fell in my lap, and I don't think it had even been fully broken in when I got my meat hooks on it. I ran it all last summer, and I'd like to change the oil, but I have no idea how to do that. Before I go out and start staring at this thing, is there a drain plug? How much, and what kind of oil should I use? Is there any other maintenance stuff I should be doing at the same time as the oil change?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Engine Oil Change, 2004 BRP Johnson 6hp 4Stroke Short Shaft

There is a drain screw plug in the lower unit's skeg about the size of a dime which has a regular screwdriver slot in it. Further up the lower unit, you'll see a identical plug which is the oil level screw plug. Fill from the bottom until the oil flows out the top, then replace the top plug to create a air lock, after which replace the bottom drain plug screw.

DO NOT ever remove the philips head screw that you might see in the skeg. That is a long shoulder screw that is actually a pivot point for the internal shift lever. If you remove that and the internal shift lever drops down..... BIG Problem!

daselbee

Commander

The parts listings do not show a 4 stroke 6hp in 2004.
Post the model number, cause Joe thinks you are talking lower unit oil, and I thought your were talking engine oil.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Daselbee..... Yep, that true. And I completely overlooked the mention of it being a four stroke. (A senior moment)

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

The model # is J6R4SRC, and I was talking about engine oil, although I expect I'll be doing the gear oil at some point, so it's good to know how not to capture air in the lower by filling from the top. I don't even know what kind of oil to put in this little gem.

daselbee

Commander

Well, it is a two stroke engine, no "engine oil" to change. Mix TCW-3 outboard in the gas at 50:1 ratio.

Also, you don't fill the lower unit from the top. You fill it from the bottom, and when oil comes out the top hole, it is full.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The model # is J6R4SRC, and I was talking about engine oil, although I expect I'll be doing the gear oil at some point, so it's good to know how not to capture air in the lower by filling from the top. I don't even know what kind of oil to put in this little gem.

Okay... So it is indeed a 2 stroke, not a 4 stroke engine. Then what I had to say previously about the lower unit holds true. The gear lube is called "HiVis" Gearlube, specificly for mechanical shift outboards, available at Wal*Mart, K-Mart, your dealership, this site no doubt, any marine type store, etc.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Nope, it's a 4 stroke.

004.jpg

I worked on a 4hp two stroke not long ago, so I could have put that number in here, I guess. This one is a J6RS something.

daselbee

Commander

Something seriously wrong with the model number versus the picture. The model number is a two stroke, your pic shows an engine with a decal on the cowl saying four stroke.

Pull the cowl off and look for a dipstick. No dipstick, no four stroke.

Also, your pic does not show the typical bulky oil pan area just below the powerhead.

any chance someone put a 4 stroke cowl on a two stroke engine?

Look up the model number yourself. Shop.Evinrude.com and you will see that the model you posted is indeed a two stroke.

something's wrong.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Well.... At least we know the engine's a Johnson and the owner wears short jeans (Grin). Now, lets see a picture of the engine without the hood.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

It's a J6R4SRC, and I feel quite flat headed for posting the wrong model number.

daselbee

Commander

Model number still crosses to a 2 stroke.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I'm beginning to think it's a Scott Attwater in disquise :)

Does it have a "Dip Stick"?

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Yeppers, it has a dip stick. BRP wanted $67 or some ridiculous thang for a manual, but I backed into one the other day on ebay for 24.95 free shipping and got it in the mail today. Turns out there's a drain plug below the power head. Now if I can just figure out how to take the shrouds off, I'll have access to the filter, too.