Keep the Johnson 70 hp stinger 2 or sell it?

calimel

Recruit
I just purchased a boat with a 1972 Johnson 70 hp stinger 2 motor. The motor will need about 1k in parts in labor to get in back in shape. Mechanic told me it needs a water pump, carbs and fuel pumped cleaned, new filter, seals, lub etc. Tune-up too. I am going to have it fixed, but my question is should I keep this motor on a 17 ft boat (I know it's a very good motor) or is it better to sell it and buy a newer motor? And is the mechanic being honest with the amount of parts and labor? I'm a female, don't know much about fixin a motor but have been boating my whole life and can do the basic maintenance. Any advice? Thanks!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Keep the Johnson 70 hp stinger 2 or sell it?

Fixing the motor as stated is a bit steep to my thinking. The labor rates are high today and if you plan on getting another motor you might as well save the repair $ as most dealers will not want to take the 70 in on trade because of its age. If you want to keep the 70 I'd shop around for prices at other Shops.
Oldman570

hidef

Lieutenant

I would see how the thing runs first. Could it use a carb cleaning? maybe, does it need a fuel pump they are less than $100.00 and easy to install along with new fuel lines. The hardest part about install a new fuel pump is getting the zip ties tight and that isn't very difficult. Water pumps are easy to change out less than $20.00 for the impeller and less than an hour to install. Change lower unit oil is 15 mins and 2 quarts of 85W90 marine gear oil. Tune up consist of new spark plugs for that engine. There are no filters to change unless someone installed a fuel filter and they cost less than $10.00. As far as greasing the thing there is 4 grease points that require a grease gun and some grease needs to spread on the steering ram. Other than that that is all the maintenance that needs to be done on that engine. What seals are leaking? Did he say? If the engine hasn't been run in salt water and is from the northern states it could be worth fixing up. A new 70 will cost a lot more than a $1000.00. By the way your engine is 1974.

larry945

Recruit

I would see how the thing runs first. Could it use a carb cleaning? maybe, does it need a fuel pump they are less than $100.00 and easy to install along with new fuel lines. The hardest part about install a new fuel pump is getting the zip ties tight and that isn't very difficult. Water pumps are easy to change out less than $20.00 for the impeller and less than an hour to install. Change lower unit oil is 15 mins and 2 quarts of 85W90 marine gear oil. Tune up consist of new spark plugs for that engine. There are no filters to change unless someone installed a fuel filter and they cost less than $10.00. As far as greasing the thing there is 4 grease points that require a grease gun and some grease needs to spread on the steering ram. Other than that that is all the maintenance that needs to be done on that engine. What seals are leaking? Did he say? If the engine hasn't been run in salt water and is from the northern states it could be worth fixing up. A new 70 will cost a lot more than a $1000.00. By the way your engine is 1974.

You are right about it being a 1974 motor. interestingly though i was replacing my fuel lines on mine and the old fuel lines were dated 1973. just a little more info bout motor.