difference between evinrude and johnson amplifier and coil?

lovewater

Cadet
can i use the power pack and coil from a 1968 evinrude triumph 55hp on a 1968 55hp johnson? I have no spark to my plugs

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: difference between evinrude and johnson amplifier and coil?

Same motor, different paint.

lovewater

Cadet

The only problem is the coil and power pack look different. Im not sure why though. my power pack and coil looke new but im not getting any power to my coil. so i went to grab the other power pack but there are way more wires and even the coil hooks up different on my johnson i have one blue wire to the coil from the power pack then the wire to the distributor the triumph is quiet different. what is this conversion thing i have read about? maybe that is what was done to the johnson?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure they are the same yrs ??

lovewater

Cadet

Not 100 percent but thats what an out board mechanic told me... also i was just tinkering with the johnson and my blue wire from the power pack is showing its strongly grounded and even with it unhooked, and my coil where the wire goes to the dist is showing a slight ground as well as where the blue wire hooks up to the coil is a strong ground is this normal?

lovewater

Cadet

Sorry about the multiple posts, just get ahead of myself sometimes, i can post a pic would it be helpful to see the power pack and coil im working with?

lovewater

Cadet

boat -->040302_1925[00].jpgwhere the blue wire hooks up from power pack to coil (blue wire is unhooked)-->041302_2042[01].jpgtouching the blue wire from power pack-->041302_2043[00].jpgtouching the hook up for the wire on coil that leads to distributor--> 041302_2043[01].jpgthe power pack-->041302_2043[02].jpg The reason im saying ground and the light on my tester is on is because i have the ground side of the tester hooked to power for convenience of finding grounds with the tip