HELP AGAIN...Johnson TN-28 Clutch and Clutch cable

smmyjr44

Cadet
Once again I am having a problem understanding this TN-28. The issue I am having is the clutch and cable. I know I have installed both correctly (I think)! I am unsure on how to adjust the cable at the handle and exactly how this clutch works. I have all connected but when I turn the flywheel the prop does not turn. What am I doing wrong/what don't I understand?

Paul in Michigan
So close to firing this thing, yet so far away!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: HELP AGAIN...Johnson TN-28 Clutch and Clutch cable

Loosen the screws and let the cable retract. Now turn the flywheel and the prop should turn. If it doesn't, there is something screwed up with the clutch in the lower unit. That clutch has two springs, the one round the outside is the neutral clutch, and the fat one inside is a shock absorber. If either one is busted, it won't drive.

OK, assuming the prop DOES turn with the cable relaxed, it just needs adjusting. With the neutral lever in Drive position (in), tug the cable just a bit and tighten the clamping screws. Now, spark plugs removed, turn the flywheel while slowy moving the lever toward Neutral position (out). Neutral should engage when it is about half way out. Adjust the cable to accomplish that.

Note: Flywheel must be rotating for neutral to release. It will always be "in gear" when not rotating.

smmyjr44

Cadet

The prop does NOT turn when the cable is detached. I noticed when I slid the clutch on the drive shaft it just turned and could not figure out how it engaged. There is a heavy spring with an "ear" on it and a spring on the end of the clutch cable, and they both appear to be unbroken. Are you saying there should be another spring either inside or outside the heavy one with the ear on it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Two springs. one heavy one (shock absorber) and one lighter one (neutral clutch). Does the water pump work?? If it does, at least the drive shaft is rotating.

smmyjr44

Cadet

Yes, the drive shaft is rotating, the heavy one (shock absorber) is the one with the "Ear" on it? the lighter one? Where is it positioned in relationship to the shock absorber? I have the parts catalog, but am going to take the lower portion off, again, so I can see this assembly. I am a bit baffled by what you are describing as the "lighterone" or neutral clutch. Please bear with me.

Paul

smmyjr44

Cadet

Looking at the parts catalog, I may be missing a couple of pieces. I have the pinion shaftand clutch pilot assembly. The heavy clutch spring fits over the pinion shaft and has the ear that makes contact with the clutch lever when activated by the neutral lever on top of the motor. Then the catalog shows a spring and sleeve assembly and a clutch retainer. I don't see these parts....Any ideas?

Paul

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I don't have the exact parts book for your motor, but this is very close.

#34 spring and sleeve assembly is the shock absorber. More on that later.
#36 is the pinion shaft assy
#35 is the neutral clutch spring. #34 and #36 are two hubs with #35 wrapped around both of them. As the upper hub rotates, friction drags the spring with it. Friction between the spring and lower hub cause the spring to drag the lower hub along with it. The harder the upper one pulls on the lower one, the tighter the spring wraps. So the whole assembly is rotating as one solid unit. BUT, when you pull up on the clutch cable, a lever pivots to get in the way of the tab on the top of the neutral spring. That causes the spring to unwind just enough to lose its grip on the upper hub-----that's neutral "gear". Allow the cable to retract, the lever moves out of the way of the tab on the spring, the spring winds tightly on the hub again, and the whole assembly rotates---that is "forward gear".

Now, separate but related is the shock absorber. There is a very strong spring inside the #34 spring and sleeve assembly (that's it sticking out the top of the spring and sleeve assembly in the picture, and covered by the #33 retainer). The strength of the spring causes much friction between the spring and the sleeve, normally rotating as virtually one piece. There are two flats on the drive shaft, which mate up with a double-D hole in the top of the spring. So, the drive shaft drives the spring, and the spring drives the sleeve (which drives the neutral clutch assembly). When you hit an underwater object, the spring winds up enough to lose its grip on the sleeve. That allows the drive shaft to momentarilly keep rotating without driving the sleeve-----in effect releasing the drive shaft from the lower unit. In other words, it "absorbs" the shock of hitting the object.

If either of those springs are broken, you won't get any drive.

Forgive me for this dumb question, but we aren't dealing with a broken shear pin in the propeller-----are we??

Attachments

• Pg 18 Lower Unit Gearcase.jpg
    Pg 18 Lower Unit Gearcase.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1

smmyjr44

Cadet

No, the shear pin is fine. The one spring is missing.......well someone wired it (the pieces) to the lock whole. I have the neutral spring attached to the pinion shaft and clutch pilot assembly but the inner or clutch spring is broken...... What now?

nwcove

Admiral

check out the salvage yards, but hopefully someone might pm you with a lead on the parts you need.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No, the shear pin is fine. The one spring is missing.......well someone wired it (the pieces) to the lock whole. I have the neutral spring attached to the pinion shaft and clutch pilot assembly but the inner or clutch spring is broken...... What now?

So you need the #34 spring and sleeve assembly? That is the thick, strong shock absorber spring. I think I have one. Pm me if interested.

EDIT: I just looked it up. Part number 375694 is replaced by 376190. Available from any Evinrude dealer. Surprisingly, the list price is only $20. You are better off buying a new one.

EDIT EDIT: Corrected typo in part number. It is 376190. marineengine.com has them in stock.