1972 65HP Evinrude (65273S) dies when throttled in gear, in lake (not on hose)

Muz4k

Recruit
Just finished rebuilding the carbs on this motor, and she runs great on the water hose (in gear and all). But as soon as I put it in the lake, and try to take off, it bogs down and dies.

It'll idle all day. It has to do with putting load on the prop, I think. Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Thanks in advance.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972 65HP Evinrude (65273S) dies when throttled in gear, in lake (not on hose)

What is your RPM setting at idle, 700-750 in gear in the water?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 65HP Evinrude (65273S) dies when throttled in gear, in lake (not on hose)

What's the compression on it ? You may want to check the top secret files at the top of this forum for carb adjusting.

Muz4k

Recruit

What is your RPM setting at idle, 700-750 in gear in the water?

I couldn't tell you - don't have a tach on it. Sounds like a nice healthy idle (if that helps). Shifting it into gear doesn't seem to affect the idle either. It's only when you throttle up (guessing over 1000, and higher).

If it's not in the water (under load), it'll throttle up, and spin the prop perfectly. When you put it under load, it dies.

Also found that the flywheel had come loose (nut hadn't been tightened well apparently). Might this have something to do with it? I haven't had it in the water since retightening the flywheel.

Muz4k

Recruit

What's the compression on it ? You may want to check the top secret files at the top of this forum for carb adjusting.

I've never measured compression - It feels good when turning the motor over, but I don't have any instruments for that.

conner5255

Cadet

Just finished rebuilding the carbs on this motor, and she runs great on the water hose (in gear and all). But as soon as I put it in the lake, and try to take off, it bogs down and dies.

It'll idle all day. It has to do with putting load on the prop, I think. Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Thanks in advance.

I have a '73 and have the same problem. Have you found out anything?

Muz4k

Recruit

I have a '73 and have the same problem. Have you found out anything?

Nothing yet - do come back and post if you figure it out! I'm guilty of not having the money to spend to have it checked out by a mechanic...

rthorennc4502m

Recruit

I am having the exact same problem and i checked plugs compression carbs and still nothing please let me know if you figure it out

Muz4k

Recruit

I am having the exact same problem and i checked plugs compression carbs and still nothing please let me know if you figure it out

I think I figured it out. Here's what I did:

Ended up going through the carbs again. Thing was, I had tuned each carb via the "recommended settings." Which was to seat each screw, then back out 1.5 - 2 full turns. Come to find out, that was flooding it. Without any negative pressure (being submerged), the motor could blow the excess fuel out the exhaust (IMO); I could see it blackening the ground/grass behind the motor.

I re-seated the mix screws, and opened them to only 3/4 turn each (much lower than suggested). Put the motor in the water, and it runs like a screaming demon. Hope this helps!

Actually just sold that boat, and bought a new ProTeam 175. NOW I'm fishing in STYLE!

Hamish11

Recruit

I had the same issue. I took the carbs off and replaced the gaskets. I also noticed the fuel hoses had cracks in them. I replace those and have had zero issues since. Not sure if it was the hoses or the gaskets in the end but $30, a YouTube video on how to change the gaskets out and a few hours of work and it was done.

Good luck!