test number 5 1976 johnson 55 hp

danray35e

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok I went out and bought a storage tub deep enough to submerge the motor so I don?t have to have muffs. It seems to work better. however I still had the choke on to start. I had my wife kim film it cause when I tried to do it myself I wound up shocking the crap out of my self on the wires. lol. So I got it running and you can see in video the only way to keep it running is to regulate the amount of air coming in via the choke valves. It almost dies until I let a little more air in then it runs pretty decent. Then when I finally take the choke off completely. Its impossible to keep it running. which gives me the impression that its still not getting enough fuel. or should I let it warm up more? Not sure how to proceed at this point.

http://youtu.be/zGJZXkEXraY

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: test number 5 1976 johnson 55 hp

Have you opened the air mixture jets any? Have you cleaned and check the fuel pump? I rebuilt my carbs last fall and set them to suggested settings, but would not idle until I opened up the low speed screws a bit. These carbs have a low speed adjustment and the high speed cannot be changed. The fuel pump has a filter that can be clogged. Might clean it and replace the gasket. One thing more....I don't remember if you rebuilt these or cleaned them but at the base of the low speed screw there is a small pc of plastic that can break and perhaps clog.

danray35e

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have you opened the air mixture jets any? Have you cleaned and check the fuel pump? I rebuilt my carbs last fall and set them to suggested settings, but would not idle until I opened up the low speed screws a bit. These carbs have a low speed adjustment and the high speed cannot be changed. The fuel pump has a filter that can be clogged. Might clean it and replace the gasket. One thing more....I don't remember if you rebuilt these or cleaned them but at the base of the low speed screw there is a small pc of plastic that can break and perhaps clog.

Well I didn't exactly rebuild the carbs but I took them apart, and cleaned them really well, cut my own new gaskets, ran the flat side (without ridge) on wet dry sandpaper over a piece of glass to remove any imperfections.
As for the low speed jet you are referring to. The packing/wadding... what ever they call it. It was crumbly, and a local marine shop sold them separately, so I replaced them. I followed the instructions to the letter. it said to seat them gently, then back off 5/8 turn. 1/2 turn would have been easier to gauge, 5\8s a turn? You have to figure half a turn is 4/ 8ths a full turn and try to figure out where 5/8ths is .. So that is where they are set right now. I had a suspicion that the factory settings were causing me problems.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds to me that it's starving for fuel w chokes open. You look to have the mixture, oil/fuel kinda fat too.....It sure is smoking a lot.

danray35e

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok got home and turned mixture screws out 1 1/2 out. amazing difference. I fiddled with it a bit in first video then I think I almost have it right in second video then at about 20 seconds in the engine started making a terrible noise. You can’t really hear it in video much but I frantically tried to shut it down, but it quit before I could. I tried to restart but battery was too drained. Im afraid it may have revved too high.

http://youtu.be/mMSktsKsDjA

http://youtu.be/uHcsYdO0DBw