System Check wiring 2000 Johnson to older control harness

nightimefishn

Seaman
Hello all,
I have a 2000 200HP Johnson Ocean Pro and am using my older pre 1996 wiring harness. I purchased the adapter kit Part # 176345 and am able to get the engine running. My question is what would be the easiest way for me to convert my older 3 wire tach (purple,grey and black) control cable in my console to the 8 pin system check tach? Sorry I am not in front of the boat right now and am probably missing something or not having all of the information but I am sure someone on this awesome board has been down this road. I'm guessing I will ned some additional plugs or adapters to get the system check lights working. Can someone point me in the right direction if there are adapters out there I can get or if I should buy an 8 socket connector and wire it in myself?

Thanks so much

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: System Check wiring 2000 Johnson to older control harness

I know BRP makes a harness to hook the New (1996 and up) controls to older (1995 and earlier) outboards but I didn't realize they make a harness to go the other way. For the price of the conversion harness though I would rather stay with the System Check system. The new style harness does support both styles of Tachs by the way but if you are using an old style tach you should have a system check gauge for the warning lights as well I would make sure the warning horn works correctly.