1976 Evinrude 70hp Solenoid Problem

mercman65

Cadet
I have been working on a friends boat for him and have finished restoration and am on to the motor. It ran fine when we took it off the boat a year ago but when i went to start it up i got nothing, no solenoid click or anything. Have juice going into solenoid and i get juice from the ignition wire when the key is turned but don' have any power coming through to the starter. Thought the solenoid was bad so i ordered a new one, but when i put it on i still have the same problem. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 Evinrude 70hp Solenoid Problem

If I remember correctly, one of the small terminals on the solenoid has voltage when you turn the key to start. The other small terminal should go to the saftey switch. Using a jumper wire, ground the terminal that does NOT come from the ignition switch, if the engine turns over you have a safety switch or wire to the safty switch problem.

66evinrude

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1976 Evinrude 70hp Solenoid Problem

be sure to check your ignition switch that was my problem, there are to wires that you can cross to try if your switch is working, the main power live when you turn key on and the other only has power when your cranking motor hope this helps