1969 TRL-10R 55 hp NO spark - Will not fire - nongenerator - electric start and shift

MikeMcGregor

Recruit
Actually 1968 TRL-10R

To answer my own question in case others run into this:

The "amplifier" is the rectanlge box "ID'd as electric shift" with leads:
1-Blue to the Coil (same side of the motor to the distributor area) in my case WHITE
1-red lead from power. This lead that comes from battery POSITIVE should be live on run and start - 12vdc!
1-grey lead for the TACH if equiped
1-ground lead (
black?).

Boat.jpg

The BLUE wire that goes to the distributor area should produce a spark when touched to GROUND. If the spark is ONLY to the spark lead from the COIL and not to the plugs then the distributor is the issue. If NO spark then the module (amplifier) is bad. (assuming12vdc + to module and good ground)

The oposite side of the motor has two leads from the points that go to a voltage regulating diode assembly next to the amplifier. This charges the battery during run (I should say "maintains" as it's a tiny output) and provides a path to ground for the points for spark timing. It can be tested with an OHM meter to ground - passes power one way - reverse leads and no continuity.

The amplifier feeds power to the points.... that said - when the points "break" - the amplifier sees this and feeds 200vdc (give or take) to the primary coil which produces the spark. Apparently this is done with and SCR (solid state on-off-switch in simple terms) and a simple transformer contained in the box and perhaps a helping capacitor for power boost (hotter spark). You can test for the signal on the WHITE or BLUE leads with a meter but need to do so with one that will read peak DC voltage - or make a simple diode and capacitor - with a bleed resistor and read voltage across the capcitor to "catch the peak average". Use 400vdc cap small better and maybe a 1K blead resistor and a diode in series (simple DC power supply if you look it up on-line).

Boat meter.jpg

I am investigating using a simple 16vac secondary 120 primary transformer and reversing it so see what happens - I suspect the only reason for the SCR is to isolate the "spark-system" from the "Charge-system" ? ? ? May just make one with an SRC - will post how to if it works - $25 beats a $300 Plus part and you can fix it when\if it fails.

Need help. :cool: I am VERY mechanically and electrically inclined. Was working fine then starter died - replaced starter brushes - now no spark - I think this has something to do with either the ignition switch or kill switch - there is no Black-with-yellow wire on harness. The ignition switch has been converted to an Automotive switch and has no M -to - M contact. The two leads from the flywheel "pulse" with meter test so I think points are OK. This engine will run with no battery and pull started normally so it has a magneto type ignition?? It has an electronic shifter with a white wire going to the coil primary and the other primary goes direct to ground. From the other side of the flywheel is a dual lead thing that goes to ground on one lead and to the shifter with the other lead. Disconnecting any combination of the leads that lead to the flywheel still give no spark. I can not figure out how the "kill switch" system works on this boat's ignition as nothing I research on-line seems to fit except the principle that KILL is accomplished through "grounding" out the point system but I can not disconnect any leads from the wireharness and get a spark :confused: . I have NOT tried applying power through the contact set directly to the white coil primary but this seems the correct power path to follow (eliminating the shifter and boat harness). This white primary reads less than one Ohm as my good meter is dead and can only read on 20 ohm scale digitally with current meter. I firmly feel this has something to do with the kill "12 volt" control system rather than the high voltage or point system ...... HELP - thanks - Mike

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1969 TRL-10R 55 hp NO spark - Will not fire - nongenerator - electric start and s

Is that the model number? It does not look like a Johnson/Evinrude model......you will find those numbers listed here:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1969&hp=55

Please post the correct model number when you find it.

Please do not go applying 12V to anything yet....A 1969 Evinrude (if that's what it is) has all sorts of expensive stuff to blow up with misapplied voltage.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1969 TRL-10R 55 hp NO spark - Will not fire - nongenerator - electric start and s

OK - I see it. It is a 1968 55 hp

It has points and an electronic amplifier module, running through a distributor.

This should help troubleshoot:

Clean all battery connections and engine grounds.

Connect a spark gap tester to the high tension lead coming from the ignition coil and set it to approximately ?". When you crank the engine over, if it fires while the spark gap tester is connected to the coil and does not fire through the spark plug wires - there is a problem in the distributor cap, rotor button or spark plug wires.

Check voltage present on the purple wire at cranking. It MUST be at least 9? volts. If not, there is a problem in the harness, key switch, starter or battery.

Check DVA voltage on the blue wire going to the coil, it should be approximately 200 volts at cranking.

Disconnect the white/black points wire. Turn the ignition switch on and strike the white/black points wire against engine ground. The unit should fire each time. If it does, this means the CD module is usually good and the points, points plate and grounding wire for the points plate need to be checked.

Connect a spark gap tester to the high-tension leads coming from the distributor cap and set the gap to approximately 7/16". Align the rotor with #1 spark plug wire. Turn the ignition switch on and strike the white/black points wire against engine ground. Only the #1 spark plug wire should fire. If another spark plug wire fires, there is a problem in the distributor cap. Repeat the test for the other cylinders.

Check the battery voltage at approximately 3500-RPM, MAXIMUM allowable reading is 16 volts. Over 16 volts will damage the ignition. Check for loose connections or a bad battery. Maintenance free batteries are NOT recommended for this application.

MikeMcGregor

Recruit

OK - I see it. It is a 1968 55 hp

It has points and an electronic amplifier module, running through a distributor.

This should help troubleshoot:

Clean all battery connections and engine grounds.

Connect a spark gap tester to the high tension lead coming from the ignition coil and set it to approximately ?". When you crank the engine over, if it fires while the spark gap tester is connected to the coil and does not fire through the spark plug wires - there is a problem in the distributor cap, rotor button or spark plug wires.

Check voltage present on the purple wire at cranking. It MUST be at least 9? volts. If not, there is a problem in the harness, key switch, starter or battery.

Check DVA voltage on the blue wire going to the coil, it should be approximately 200 volts at cranking.

Disconnect the white/black points wire. Turn the ignition switch on and strike the white/black points wire against engine ground. The unit should fire each time. If it does, this means the CD module is usually good and the points, points plate and grounding wire for the points plate need to be checked.

Connect a spark gap tester to the high-tension leads coming from the distributor cap and set the gap to approximately 7/16". Align the rotor with #1 spark plug wire. Turn the ignition switch on and strike the white/black points wire against engine ground. Only the #1 spark plug wire should fire. If another spark plug wire fires, there is a problem in the distributor cap. Repeat the test for the other cylinders.

Check the battery voltage at approximately 3500-RPM, MAXIMUM allowable reading is 16 volts. Over 16 volts will damage the ignition. Check for loose connections or a bad battery. Maintenance free batteries are NOT recommended for this application.

Thank you for the reply - I hope I am doing this reply correctly. - Mike I have a problem with colors as the "amplifier" leads were severely rotted away and I was able to connect new wire to the reminants of them and RTV-Silicone seal the leads to the harness - - the engine worked for a year that way. I just discovered that this component is not the "electric shift" control last night while peeking bout the internet. DUH

On the oposite side of the engine are two WHITE leads coming from the points which I assume are the white/black ones mentioned above. On the same side as the amplifier there are two wires going into the distributor (the base plate in parts break down) - one GROUNDED and the other goes to the "amplifier" I believe to be the lead to the coil system?????

From the amplifier there is an undamaged WHITE lead (the only one not needing repair last year when I aquired the boat - BTW) that goes to the coil directly and presume this is the (blue) lead that should have the 200 volts??????

Is the Spark lead from the coil removable from the distributor by prying it loose - did not want to break it.

I assume the "amplifier" boosts the 12vdc to the 200vdc for the coil by using the PURPLE lead from ignition and the breaking of the points? Is it electronic internally or a simple transformer system? Unknow secret?

Might you have an actual wiring diagram - I could reproduce the "colors" for ID reasons that way as all the wires are now "brown":rolleyes: :facepalm:

I can post pictures of the rewire if that will help but suspect you have a pretty good idea.

And THANKS AGAIN - Mike

MikeMcGregor

Recruit

Side Note: You mention the abilty for this engine to charge the battery but it never has?? - there is a small lead from the ignition switch going to the positive lead of the battery but I think this only provides power for lights - ignition relays - etc. ? ? ? The main battery lead goes to the "starter post ONLY" from the battery positve. (is there an actual generator somewhere I am missing in the parts break down or is it supposed to "back-charge" through the ignition somehow)