Are all 99 rudes ficht motors?

N Wolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found a deal on a 99 ranger, but it has a 200 hp rude on it. I was told not to biy it if it has a ficht motor on it.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Are all 99 rudes ficht motors?

This is a Ficht engine. Not so sure you should be too quick to condemn this particular model, however. It was pretty much the 60 degree (150/175) loopers that gave Ficht the bad name-not the these 90 degree big block powerheads.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it's Ficht, stay away from it.

N Wolf

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The recal was on the 200 and 225 1999-2000 models. They had a tendency to explode. Not blow up as normaly thought of with a motor, more like a granade in gas. I was just wondering why people are afraid of them now. This one is 13 years old, cant be the pile of junk people think they are and still be alive. It may have been repaired in the recal.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

A 1999 E200WPXEEN and E200WPXEES are NOT Ficht's. The Evinrudes with the "F" in the model number are Ficht's.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

i think i have read the parts are very expensive, especially the computer parts....to me youd have to get a sweet deal...like half the price of a non ficht motor.........

but normally i would agree that by this time the bad motors all died....you can blow up the best motor made from the 90s at any time....or any motor might just run and run and run....but stack the odds in your favor!

good luck

bob

Haffiman

Commander

If been 'in stock' for a long time, stay away. If in normal use up to time of sale, might be a good deal. However ask for a print-out of the EMM.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you feel comfortable about the mtr, you should buy it. Myself, I wouldn't.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

If it is a Ficht engine, you should try to investigate it further prior to purchase. Ask to have it taken to a Bombardier dealer. The dealer can interrogate the on-board computer to find information on the engine, to include operating characteristic and engine hours. While there, the dealer may be able to to see if it has any service bulletin history. Armed, with the engine's serial number, the Bombardier dealer may be able to inquire the factory's history on it, to include which, if any upgrades were done/not done. The seller may ask that you pay the dealer for this work.

Last edited: