Gear case head question

jpatterson12

Cadet
I have the gear case apart on my '65 9.5 hp Seahorse. I can see from micro fish that there is a seal at the gear case head, along with an o-ring. Does anybody know if I need a special tool to remove that seal from the gear case head? Holding it in my hand, I'm not sure how it's supposed to come apart. The gear case head won't slip off over the prop shaft, neither will reverse gear. Never had a gear case apart, so I'm treading on new ground.

AlTn

Commander
Re: Gear case head question

is the prop shaft burred or slightly swelled where the drive pin hole is?..if so, this needs to be shaped up first and then they'll come off the shaft...are you certain that seal is leaking?...got a seal puller?...the outer edge of the gear case head is sort of brittle so take the time to use something between it and the puller to prevent chipping or cracking the rim.

One fellow used thin sheet metal screws screwed into the seal then wrapped safety wire around the heads and pulled the seal out...just be sure not to scratch the inner seal surface of the gear case head.

jpatterson12

Cadet

I'll take a close look at the shaft. I may just take it to my local marina and have them put a new seal in. It's been my experience that specialty tools are normally expensive, and the kind of thing you wind up using once in 20 years.

AlTn

Commander

nawww..that seal puller is probably $15 or less..it consist of 2 different radiused "hawk beaks" on a handle..goggle one ..you ccan probably buy one at your auto parts store