Another VRO alarm question

puma4440

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

Just to verify my thoughts...

After months of restoration, I was finally able to put my boat in the water yesterday for a trial run. Prior to this, I replaced the primer bulb/line running from the VRO to the engine(87' J60TLCUC). Since only running it on the muffs since I purchased it, I've been running it on a 50:1 mix in the tank until I was able to verify that the VRO worked by drawing a line on the tank where the oil level was.

After 5 minutes of "No Wake" speeds, I got the VRO alarm, the beeps would speed up as throttle was increased. Thinking I have air in the line, I stopped(with engine running), and squeezed the primer until the alarm quit(3 hard squeezes). 10 minutes after bulb squeeze, and 90% WOT, I got the alarm again, and repeated the bulb squeezes. After 20 minutes of the previous session, I had the same incident, still at 90% WOT, then it was time to go due to storms.

Since the time between alarms has increased, I assume(I know, I know), that I am bleeding air from the system, but I wasn't sure how long this may go on. From using 2 1/2 gallons of premix, my oil tank has dropped very close to 1/2", does this sound right?

Perhaps keep running the premix until I get no alarm after "x" amount of time?

Any advice would be appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another VRO alarm question

Keep running the 50:1 mix. Did you purge the oil line from the tank to the vro before hooking it up ?? If you did, you may have a vro going bad. If it was my mtr I'd disconnect the oil side of the vro and run 50:1 mix.

SparkieBoat

Captain

plug the VRO and unplug the VRO harness and PREMIX.

puma4440

Seaman Apprentice

I appreciate the advice, and I believe I will disconnect the system...I need room for another fuel tank anyhow.