Cleaning/Degreasing Evinrude Outboard

boatmaster09

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so I have an 1964 Evinrude Star-Flite 90-S, 90 hp outboard. After pulling the hood on it I noticed it is covered in oil and grease. It was rebuilt a few years ago and am guessing the guy that rebuilt it never bothered to clean it up. Im wandering what I can do to get it all good and clean again? Ive seen many post saying many different things. Is it ok to spray it down with some sort of degreaser and then hose it off? Engine Brite or Oven Cleaner? Is it even ok to get the engine wet at all? Let me know what you all think.

Cody

DSC04106.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Cleaning/Degreasing Evinrude Outboard

engine cleaner. just keep the ignition parts dry.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not use Oven Cleaner, it would strip the paint as well!
Engine cleaner or Simple Green should do.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I use brake cleaner or carb cleaner as well.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Old fuel/oil mix from last years cleans them up good, WD40 too. Doubles as a protective film to keep corrosion down, especially if you are in salt water.

boatmaster09

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the tips guys. I was really hoping to be able to use one of those cleaners that you spray on and hose off but if Im not able to get the electronics wet then Ill have to try some of the things you guys have mentioned. Arent there some spay on stuff that wont hurt the electronics? Maybe I could just take all the electronics off first then do the spray on hose off thing. Have to figure it out.

Thanks

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

I use a yellow wheel cleaner product... works great but it sounds like your just gonna have to spend some time with it cleaning small areas at a time. There is no easy spray and hose down answer

nwcove

Admiral

spray your product of choice on a rag and use some elbow grease to remove the other grease!

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

I use a stiff parts cleaning brush (napa) get a spray bottle of super clean, or purple power, brush on and scrub block, next get a spray bottle of water, mist & wipe with old rags, last wipe down with clean rag & wd-40 comes out great.