1981 evinrude 55 hp

Honea

Cadet
I have a 1981 evinrude 55hp and it runs good until it gets 3 miles down the river and it just dies! Carburators are clean, fuel pump just got rebuilt and all fuel line have been changed! I thought it was fuel related or the coils but when it dies its still getting fire but won't crank! If it sits for about 20 or 30 minutes it will crank right up! I don't know what else to check and all the boat shops are backed up at least a month, my buddy said try this forum! Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1981 evinrude 55 hp

Are you using a 6 gallon tank or a built in tank? How is the vent system, open/clear?
Usually if it will start after cooling off, it tends to be an electrical problem, something overheating in the ignition system.

Honea

Cadet

Are you using a 6 gallon tank or a built in tank? How is the vent system, open/clear?
Usually if it will start after cooling off, it tends to be an electrical problem, something overheating in the ignition system.

I have a plastic 6 gallon tank! Vents seem to be free and clear!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're checking your spark with the plugs, forget it. The spark should jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester.

Honea

Cadet

If you're checking your spark with the plugs, forget it. The spark should jump a 7/16 " open air gap on a spark tester.

Ok, I'll get a spark tester and try it! Thanks

Honea

Cadet

I bought a air gap spark tester and it shot the 7/16 gap! It still
Does the same thing!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Did you check the spark when it stalled, before it had time to cool off?
If you have spark when it stalls, it sounds like a fuel problem.

Honea

Cadet

Did you check the spark when it stalled, before it had time to cool off?
If you have spark when it stalls, it sounds like a fuel problem.

Right when it died I checked it! I guess I'll start taking carbs down next

Rudemen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would check the fuel pump to make sure it's pumping fuel with the fuel tank sitting on the ground before taking carbs off. Disconnect both fuel lines going to both carbs and spin the engine over to make sure fuel squirts out, if you don't get fuel check the fuel filter and also check the incomming screen with one screw thru the middle on the fuel pump.

Honea

Cadet

I would check the fuel pump to make sure it's pumping fuel with the fuel tank sitting on the ground before taking carbs off. Disconnect both fuel lines going to both carbs and spin the engine over to make sure fuel squirts out, if you don't get fuel check the fuel filter and also check the incomming screen with one screw thru the middle on the fuel pump.

I will try that this evening, thanks for all the help!

swamp-fox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe you should just give the motor to your buddy..