1998 Evinrude 115 Spark Plugs & Starter Solenoid

My '98 Evinrude 115 hasn't been running as good as it normally does. It has been very cold-natured (takes a while to get started), missing a bit when idling, and will often die when I switch it from high idle neutral to neutral. I figured this next weekend I will decarb it using the Seafoam method posted here in the forum and replace the spark plugs when I'm done.

Also, my starter is getting hung up every now and then and stays engaged after I turn the key off. I can turn my Perko switch off, slap the side of the motor, turn the Perko back on and all is well. I replaced the solenoid a couple of years ago, but it seems to be acting up again. It seems like a voltage is arcing into the solenoid and keeping it engaged. I ordered a new Sierra starter solenoid here on iboats and will replace it when I do the decarb/spark plug job.

The plugs that are currently installed are Champion QL77JC4. Should I stick with these or is there a better plug to use? The reason that I ask is because I've seen it referenced in a few places that the QL78YC is now recommended for all Evinrudes that are 1994 and newer.

As always, thank you for your recommendations and I'm always open to suggestions for the problems listed above.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1998 Evinrude 115 Spark Plugs & Starter Solenoid

I think the ql78yc plugs are for the 60 degree motors. What do you have? if your starter continues to stick spray some silicone spray under the gear that pops up to flywheel. carbs probably need a good cleaning.

I think the ql78yc plugs are for the 60 degree motors. What do you have? if your starter continues to stick spray some silicone spray under the gear that pops up to flywheel. carbs probably need a good cleaning.

It's the 115 spl so I believe it's the 60 degree motor... Well, the heads look ~60 degrees when looking at them..... On the starter, it's not that the starter gear won't fall back down, it's that the starter is actually engaged and spinning. That sounded more like a stuck solenoid to me.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd go for the solenoid first, but you could have some stray voltage on the yellow/red wire going to the solenoid.

I'd go for the solenoid first, but you could have some stray voltage on the yellow/red wire going to the solenoid.

I'll check for that as well.... Thanks for the tip

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

It's the 115 spl so I believe it's the 60 degree motor... Well, the heads look ~60 degrees when looking at them..... On the starter, it's not that the starter gear won't fall back down, it's that the starter is actually engaged and spinning. That sounded more like a stuck solenoid to me.

the 115 spl is a 90 degree cross flow motor.

has it always been like this...or is the motor new to you?

can you check the flywheel teeth for damage, same goes for the starter gear...id check to see if the starter is bolted on right...

i would think if its getting hung up, it might be not aligned right.....as opposed to a week return spring.....( I guess the spring COULD break) but it usually doesnt...

if there is jun under one of the starter mounts the starter is canted....and could make it interfere with the flywheel..

check that out..

bob

SparkieBoat

Captain

I think the Champion QL77JC4 are for the 90 degree motors.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

GR8,
The BRP web-site lists at least three different plug types for the '98 Evinrude 150 depending on which motor you have.
You'll need to find your specific model# on their web-site and pull up the "Cylinder and Crankcase" diagram to get the correct plug.

Thank you all for the tips. I went ahead and picked up four new QL77JC4 plugs as it appears that's what is called for. I had just seen where someone suggested that the QL78YC plugs may be a better choice.

I'll also check the starter mounts and the gears as suggested above. I didn't notice anything peculiar when I was looking at everything last week, but it never hurts to take a closer look.

I have a feeling that I am getting some stray voltage over to the yellow/red wire as suggested above. The reason that I say that is because it is staying energized after I turn the key off. I'm going to trace that wire and also look at how close the power wires are coming to the metal strap that holds the solenoid to the motor. It wouldn't surprise me if a voltage would be arcing over to the strap from the battery cable and jumping over to the yellow/red wire connection.

Just a follow up post in case anyone in the future has a similar problem.

I replaced my starter solenoid last week, but I was still having issues. After replacing the solenoid, I was having a difficult time getting the solenoid to engage. After a lengthy trouble-shooting fiasco, I figured out that the rubber insulation that goes around my starter solenoid had degraded and was allowing my solenoid to ground out to my engine block. Not having any of that rubber material, I removed the solenoid once again and wrapped the body really well with electrical tape. It seems to have fixed the problem as I ran it throughout the weekend without another single incident.

I really appreciate all the advice that I received!

Well, back to square one and I'm really puzzled..... Took the boat out yesterday afternoon and it was running great. We killed the engine intentionally, went to start it back up and nothing. Not even a click or anything. I got the boat back home and did some troubleshooting with my volt meter.

I'm getting 12.9 Volts to the battery side of the solenoid. When I turn the key to start, I'm getting 12.88 Volts at the starter leg of the solenoid (yellow/red wire). When I measure the output voltage of the solenoid I get 0 Volts. I would have guessed this based that the solenoid isn't clicking. This would indicate a bad solenoid in my opinion, but it is brand spanking new and was working great. I ordered the recommended Sierra solenoid here from iBoats, but maybe it's not the correct one.

I guess that I'm finally going to have to give in and bring it to an expert. I'm confident the problem is still at the solenoid and may be some sort of grounding issue, but I don't know what else I can do myself besides changing the solenoid again.

I'm selling this boat and I don't want to give someone a sh*t sandwich so I want it fixed right. I'll update this post with what the mechanic finds once I find out.

Well, I visited the mechanic today and was informed that the Sierra brand solenoids aren't of the best quality. I explained that I had installed two Sierra solenoids in the last year and he explained that he had quit carrying anything Sierra for that exact reason. Apparently there has been a lack of quality with these products for a while and he quit selling any of their products. He installed a Bombardier/Evinrude solenoid and everything worked like a champ.

I'll update the post if anything changes, but as of right now the Sierra Starter Solenoids are junk.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I will bet the sierra solenoid had a bad ground or primary voltage supply, that was inadvertantly fixed when it was replaced.

I will bet the sierra solenoid had a bad ground or primary voltage supply, that was inadvertantly fixed when it was replaced.

I guess anything is possible, but I can verify that the two Sierra solenoids had 12.8 volts going across their starting contact and ground, but wouldn't change state. I guess we will see how this new solenoid holds up during the test run.

barry light

Cadet

I too had these same solenoid issues with a 92 evinrude 115 hp. NAPA sells marine parts ( I have bought impellors from them). Their part numbers are same as Sierra Marine, so I am guessing that possibly it is the same manufactured part as Sierra, but NAPA sells it in their own packaging.

NAPA usually stocks these parts, and I bought the correct starter solenoid from them less than 2 years ago ( it has a 2 year warranty). I just replaced this same solenoid for the third time in the last two years. THe boat motor is not used that much, but seems like I have to replace the solenoid every few months. I have even taken apart the bad solenoid to see if I could see any issues. It has to be in the coil windings, but not sure how to check this out, as everything looks good. When applying 12 volts to the solenoid coil, it does not pull down to supply voltage thru the solenoid to the starter. I am beginning to think what your expect said about the low quality of this solenoid, if in fact it is the same as manufactured for Sierra.