25hp Johnson '85 runs lean at idle

kbait

Commander
J25RLCOS. Spark tested great (5/16"), new QL77JC4 plugs gapped to .030", good compression.

Customer motor hadn't been run in 6 yrs, and started ok, but low speed would run lean. I cleaned the carb spotless (removed welch plug for low speed ports), new needle retainer (low speed needle 'seal'). No change. This one has the primer instead of choke, so I disconnected that to remove the primer as a possible issue by plugged it's feed from front of bowl, plugged primer port at carb base, and plugged tube from crankcase to essentially remove the primer. No change (link/sync is perfect). I can put my hand over carb throat (manually 'choking') and it'll speed up, but will not retain idle unless I do so. Also, doesn't really 'lean sneeze' (maybe just a bit, but not like when low speed circuit is clogged).. just not enough fuel at idle. Throttle needs to be at 'start' and cam must be opening the throttle plate slightly for it to stay running. I can adjust the low speed needle 'in' to make it starve out, and I can open it past 3 turns and it's still too lean.. seems like the needle is working and metering fuel fine, just not enough (Yes, I cleaned the carb again to be sure, and re-replaced the needle retainer to be sure it wasn't leaking air around the low speed needle).

Question: Where is the air getting in? I figure it must be getting raw air in somewhere. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the carb base and intake plate, but no change. Could it be a leaky crank seal? I've heard that the upper seal can let air in and cause this problem. Any advice or possible further tests are certainly welcome. Thanks, and Happy Easter!!

kbait

Commander
Re: 25hp Johnson '85 runs lean at idle

any ideas?

kbait

Commander

I changed out the recirc tube that goes from powerhead base to just under flywheel.. someone told me that if that's cracked, it'll run lean. Same result. Pulled flywheel and top seal looks pristine w/no fuel/oil mix visible at all, so that kinda throws a wrench at the top crank seal idea. Anyone have any thoughts? Lower crank seal??

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry I have no help to contribute but I'll be watching this thread closely as I'm having very similar symptoms on my '57 Fastwin. I've cleaned the carb 3 times, replaced top/bottom seals, new rings and head gasket and sealed the block halves. New J6C plugs with strong blue spark across 5/16th gap. Still the same. Can't get it to idle below the start position. I'm thinking maybe a warped head. You said your compression is good. What is it?

AlTn

Commander

k..with the carb apart can you determine the fuel flow route up to the idle circuits?..a hole in the upper carb body casting that isn't threaded for a float bowl screw ?..if so, clean it out < I've used a strand out of a wire brush and a twist tie strand ; CAUTION..you know what's gonna happen if it breaks in there so don't be heavy handed doing this >...setting the free end of the float slightly higher when inverted might help as well...

jasper60103

Commander

kbait,
any update? I'm curious what the fix was?

kbait

Commander

I was talking to my parts guy, Mike @ timsoutboard.com 218-682-2331, and he said he's worked on motors where the carb did the same thing after multiple cleanings, and another carb worked fine. He offered to send me another 25hp carb, and charge me later if it worked. It arrived the next day (yesterday), I cleaned it out, hooked it up, and she runs purrfect! Still don't know what's up w/original carb, but it's nice to have that headache gone!

Moral of the story: Tim's outboard ROCKS! I believe they should be elevated to the #1 spot on: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=438822

Thanks to all who posted.. Just when you think you're good w/these J/E motors.. :)
Always something more to learn. Thanks again.. and call Tim's for those hard to find parts.. and perhaps a bit of sage advise.

AlTn

Commander

Thanks for posting the solution, K...Tim's sounds like the kind of folks anyone would want to deal with