1994 Evinrude 15 hp long shaft seepage

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Water tanked the motor and had no water coming out the weep hole. I noticed there had been some seepage coming from the mating surface where the long shaft ext. housing bolts to the upper housing. Also when i tanked it i saw some water seepage coming from there. The seepage that was there at first seemed to be oily. Is there some kind of seal or O ring that would make that happen? I am going to put a water pump impeller kit in the motor since it had set for some time. Does the shifting arm unbolt on this model down on the arm or do you have to take it loose up below the carb?? Thanks for any info folks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Evinrude 15 hp long shaft seepage

When you get the l/u bolts out and drop it down, there you will see a coupler. Remove the bottom bolt and the l/u should come off. The seepage you see is probably normal but be sure to check the g/c oil.

Dave Turner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1994 Evinrude 15 hp long shaft seepage

Thank you sir for the helpful info. I dropped the lower unit by taking the bolt out of the coupler. The seepage may be because there were a couple bolts that were pretty loose in the housing.