Electric-Primer Ideas....1983 Evinrude 60

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
83 Evinrude 60. Pulled this thing out of the bushes after sitting for 4-years, built the carbs and pump, impeller, ect. I cannot for the life of me get the primer to work. It clicks on the bench and on the motor, have fuel in manual mode to the carbs, no restrictions in lines. I even tried to bench test it with fuel , clicks, plunger seems to be moving but nothing out of the outlets. Not much in there to go wrong, or so it seems. Motor runs fantastic, but cold starts might be and issue without it.

AlTn

Commander
Re: Electric-Primer Ideas....1983 Evinrude 60

marineengine.com has schematic of the primer's innards as well as individual cost of each....feel up to giving a rebuild a try?..seems to me if you can establish the plunger is moving, it may simply have some crude blocking a channel in there. Can't say I've ever delved into one...noted the cost of replacement primer was ~$190.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You seem to be missing one aspect of how the primer works. The primer bulb needs to be squeezed until firm before the primer system can function. It is not a pump. It is a soelnoid operated valve. No pressure in the fuel line, it won't work. Holding the key in while cranking pulls fuel through it into the intake.

MARKBENOIT

Cadet

I have a 70hp evinrude vro. The key choke doesn't seem to work but when move the red lever on the solenoid, and go back to the key it starts right up. How do I fix this?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It's not nice to hijack a thread. Read the rules at the top of the forum and stick to the one you already started!! Thank you.