evinrude 1967 carburetor flooding, please assist

savibravo

Recruit
I am a new boat owner and this is my first time working on an outboard (with the help of some knowledgable friends). My Evinrude 6hp 1967 motor will not start. It only runs when I shoot some carb cleaner in it, granted it is only for a few seconds at least I know it has life. So, I took apart the carburetor, cleaned and replaced all the parts. But when I attach the carb back on and begin pumping fuel into it, the gas comes flowing out of the overflow hole immediately. What gives?

I have taken the carb off and checked the needle and seat. All looks good and clean. Everything is brand new.

Could anybody give me some advice? I want to get my boat in the water!

Thanks!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: evinrude 1967 carburetor flooding, please assist

The needle/seat is what controls fuel flow into the carb. The float controls the needle/seat. Are you sure that there is no trash in the needle/seat holding it open? Float installed correctly and adjusted properly? All gaskets installed properly?

liz873

Seaman

I have a 69 6hp , never had that problem, just others. First use a little premix in a spray bottle. Repeated use of starter fluid can damage engine. Next which overflow hole do you mean? Possible float in stalled upside down easy to do. Are you sure its flooding maybe gas not making it in carb because usually when a engine only fires with starting fluid means lack of gas. Close choke, pump bulb until firm give a couple pulls immediately check plugs should have gas on them if not carb or pump is problem. Disconnect fuel line exiting from pump spray gas in carb when she fires should get nice stream from pump outlet.

savibravo

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I am very sure all gaskets are in place and no obstruction of holes. I will try all the methods you recommend in the thread tomorrow. THe overflow hole that I am speaking about is in the photo attached. It is at the bottom and it looks like there may very well been a screw in that hole. It has the grooves as if something can attach in it. But prior to me taking the carb apart, gas didn't flow out like it now is.

photo-1.JPG

savibravo

Recruit

sorry, the photo loaded sideways. The overflow hole I speak of is to the right in the picture

AlTn

Commander

if you'll go to marineengine.com and find the diagram for your carb < 1967 evinrude 6702 > did you replace #41 carb body boss gasket, did you install the float correctly < tab on portion of float arm that the hinge pin goes through points towards upper carb body >..float level adjusted to be parallel with carb body when the upper carb body is inverted?...carb back together, can you blow into the fuel bowl nipple with the carb upright, but, with the carb inverted, you can't?

savibravo

Recruit

if you'll go to marineengine.com and find the diagram for your carb < 1967 evinrude 6702 > did you replace #41 carb body boss gasket, did you install the float correctly < tab on portion of float arm that the hinge pin goes through points towards upper carb body >..float level adjusted to be parallel with carb body when the upper carb body is inverted?...carb back together, can you blow into the fuel bowl nipple with the carb upright, but, with the carb inverted, you can't?

the marine engine website was exactly what I needed! It looks like there is a plug missing 50-52. I think if I get that I will be all set! Thanks!!