rigging eye hook

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi all i recently got rid of my force motor and bought an evinrude. does anyone know where i can get the eyehook that threads into the flywheel for rigging the outboard.

thanks

dave

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: rigging eye hook

What is the model # of your Evinrude?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I've used a harmonic balancer puller many times to lift heavy outboards w/o a lifting eye. Just setup the puller and run chain or heavy line under the puller. No need to remove the flywheel nut and retorque either. This works for all the non DI motors.

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the response jim but i do not have that option on this motor. the crank has female threads but i do not know what size they are and if i could take the motor to the store i would lol. i ordered a factory manual and diagnostics software today so it will problably tell me in there but i am trying to get as much as i can ahead of time so that my downtime is minimal....the stripers are running hard and i want to get out there.

thanks

dave

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is this a ficht or carbed mtr ?? Sounds like ficht.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Sounds like your motor is a Ficht (DI) and that's a completely different deal.

scottcab

Seaman

Not sure if it's the same threads, but I just used a harmonic balancer puller from auto parts store with grade 5 bolts from home depot. The thread my 1985 115hp Johnson used was 5/16th fine thread. I tossed in a eye bolt and had the 350lbs hanging on it for a week. No problems.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

scottcab, I don't think this is anything like your flywheel.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

If you don't want to buy the special lifter then you can remove the lower cowling and carefully route straps under and around the block. I got a 200hp onto a stand in my garage like that with no problems. You just have to be very careful about where the straps are going to go once you get tension on them. One person pulled the chain hoist and I kept it level and balanced and guided it to the stand.

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes guys it's a ficht (di) motor and I really don't want to try to strap it or anything so if it cost me $100 for the hook that's fine. I am saving a ton of money by rigging it my self. Thanks again for all the responces.

Dave

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check with your local BRP Dlr to get the proper tool. Part # 342672. Or E-Bay. List price, $184.64.

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks boobie atleast i have a part # to go by now. lol that is highway robbery for that thing hopefully i can find one cheaper. thanks again

dave

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Anyway you got a part # to try and hunt one down. If you get the proper tool it will scare you to see how it works but I've never dropped one yet using it. What's cheaper, the tool or broken mtr parts ?? LOL.

droach77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear ya man i was wondering what the extra slot for a woodruff was for it seems to be an alignment for the tool. there is no way i would just try to thread something in that carnk and try to uprite the motor, the thread diameter is way to small and looks like it would break off for sure. thanks again man i appreciate it

dave

clanton

Rear Admiral

The lifting eye is cast into the block, one on each side. See BRP parts list their site, you can see the eyes on the block.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Fichts didn't have lifting eyes in the blocks. Only carbed models.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

droach, if you get the proper tool make sure it's all orginal. Can't wait till you get it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

By the way the slot in the c/s is a left over from the carb models. It ran the rotor for the ignition system.