1995 johnson 115 Ocean runner Alarm when key is turned to on position w/o motor off

wdufrene

Cadet
1st time posting... When i turn my key to the On possition my controls warning horn (part#585994) has a solid tone. looking around some threads it seemed to be the VRO from what i was understanding. so i disconected it the alarm still sounds. i then located my temp from one side and the alarm still sounds! I then removed the horn to test it. the horn test out just fine. so i have no clue. the problem is happening as soon as i turn the key on! so i cant see how the temp could be causing this! the motor runs just fine im spitting water out the back and its not real hot at all!

so i want to back track from the horn to the motor to see if i have a short some place. does anyone know what each wire on the horn is for?
i marked what i think each is for.. please correct me if i am wrong. thanks
horn.jpg

daselbee

Commander
Re: 1995 johnson 115 Ocean runner Alarm when key is turned to on position w/o motor o

The tan wire is the wire that triggers the horn to sound.
You have it labelled as GROUND in the pictures.

So, if that wire is grounded, by normal sensor operation (sensors switch to ground when a fault occurs...temp...vro...etc), the horn sounds.

If that wire is grounded somewhere, find it, and the horn will stop.

Also, you can pull the tan wire off the terminal, and the horn should stop. If it doesn't, the horn is bad.

Purple is +12 volts switched ON at the key.

wdufrene

Cadet
Re: 1995 johnson 115 Ocean runner Alarm when key is turned to on position w/o motor o

The tan wire is the wire that triggers the horn to sound.
You have it labelled as GROUND in the pictures.

So, if that wire is grounded, by normal sensor operation (sensors switch to ground when a fault occurs...temp...vro...etc), the horn sounds.

If that wire is grounded somewhere, find it, and the horn will stop. so if its broken or grounding out some place this could cause the issue too? what about the temp being stuck? engine is cold and alarm stays on

Also, you can pull the tan wire off the terminal, and the horn should stop. If it doesn't, the horn is bad.i tested the horn using my meter and where the brown wire is had continuity with teh main ground. that is why i assumed it was a ground maybe horn is BAD? ill try to hook it all back up and just remove brown to test

Purple is +12 volts switched ON at the key.

could the beep that I get when i turn key that lets me know the alarm is working be stuck? if so how to trouble shoot that as well!? thanks again!

wdufrene

Cadet

also Unhooked the brown wire on the head. I am assuming that is the temp. still had alarm. is there another i noticed on other head there was 2 or 3 wires coming out but they went behind a plastic shrowed. i will try to remove to unhook some of those wires if they are part of this alarm system.

just cant see how a cold engine can makecall for the alarm unless its stuck open but i never ha da reason for engine to go into alarm for heat. MOTOR always runs cool

daselbee

Commander

The beep you get when the purple wire goes to 12v is generated by the horn itself. There is not external system or device that beeps the horn for a chirp. If the "beep is stuck" then the horn is bad.

You are not getting my point. Disconnect the tan wire at the horn. Should turn the horn off. If not, horn bad.
Find the "shorted to ground sensor" on your engine that is triggering the horn.

Doesn't matter if you never ran hot. Could be the oil tank, temp sensors on each head, or the vro.
Also could be the harness has rubbed somewhere and caused a short. That is the last place to look.

38plymouth

Seaman Apprentice

If that is a 3 wire horn and you need a new one check out ebay. I just got a new one for about $31 shipped and the guy had several more. The marinas seem to have a hard time finding them and if they do they cost over $100 with the wire harness. My horn was stuck on and then started to make strange crackling noise like it was burning inside.

wdufrene

Cadet

If that is a 3 wire horn and you need a new one check out ebay. I just got a new one for about $31 shipped and the guy had several more. The marinas seem to have a hard time finding them and if they do they cost over $100 with the wire harness. My horn was stuck on and then started to make strange crackling noise like it was burning inside.

o you have the Sellers info? send link so i can look him up
thanks
oem part number was 585994

wdufrene

Cadet

ok i think i figured it out!... disconected just the brown wire and it still was beeping. so this means the horn IS BAD?
when you stated to find "shorted to ground sensor" that would have been if removing the brown wire turned the horn off? Correct? then i would have to back track to find which of the 3 sensors caused the alarm? "each of the temp wires or the oil?

So does it sound like i have what you where describing correct? sorry if i had to break it down like this im not very good with this stuff still new to doing my own work.

i also used a laser temp. gun on each side and got some weird readings.. the starboard side while ideling for 15-20 min maintained a temp of about 150deg while the port side stayed about 89-90deg! is this normal?

daselbee

Commander

ok i think i figured it out!... disconected just the brown wire and it still was beeping. so this means the horn IS BAD?

Yes that is it

when you stated to find "shorted to ground sensor" that would have been if removing the brown wire turned the horn off? Correct? then i would have to back track to find which of the 3 sensors caused the alarm? "each of the temp wires or the oil?
So does it sound like i have what you where describing correct? sorry if i had to break it down like this im not very good with this stuff still new to doing my own work.

Again correct. Only look for bad sensors if the horn shut off after pulling the tan wire at the horn.

i also used a laser temp. gun on each side and got some weird readings.. the starboard side while ideling for 15-20 min maintained a temp of about 150deg while the port side stayed about 89-90deg! is this normal?

Not normal. Maybe port thermostat is stuck open. More work to do.

wdufrene

Cadet

Not normal. Maybe port thermostat is stuck open. More work to do.[/QUOTE]

what is normal temp. temp outside is about 75deg 100% humidity

daselbee

Commander

I would look for 140-150 even on both sides.

wdufrene

Cadet

I would look for 140-150 even on both sides.

ok talked to my ol man and he told me that the last time he had the water pump changed out. the Tech recomended removing the therms.. i didnt get into why with him i wanted to know from the experts (you?) why would he suggest that? and if that is the case why such a dif in temps?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

ok talked to my ol man and he told me that the last time he had the water pump changed out. the Tech recomended removing the therms.. i didnt get into why with him i wanted to know from the experts (you?) why would he suggest that? and if that is the case why such a dif in temps?

have the same motor...and I do have an ongoing issue with my horn as well...but it repeats and i know it,, so it isnt an issue...i have 2 temperature gauges to allow me to monitor the head temps.

as for the reason the tech might remove t stats....one I can think of is, the head is getting too hot...either from abnormal friction...or from a lean carb or two.

usually if you remove one thermostat the other head temperature rises, because you have a low pressure path and the most of the water takes it...leaving very little to the closed head.

if they are both open or both closed, they equal out more.

my alarm sounds exactly 2 minutes after I turn the motor on...no way is the motor even warmed by then..and it sounds for exactly 10 seconds constant, and then shuts off.....happens every single time i turn the key on..

I havent figured it out either...I just accept it and have put foam all around the horm so it isnt as loud.

good luck

bob

38plymouth

Seaman Apprentice

BigBassin78

Seaman

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-omc-dri...890967&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr

This is the one I bought and it fixed my horn issue. The directions sat it's for 1996 and up evinrude with system check but without the system check tach or lights.

I bought this same exact one from the same exact guy to replace my 585993 horn. I just spliced the new bullet terminal for the ground connection, which was a spade connector in my stock harness. I soldered the connection btw. It works like a charm.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The wire is considered TAN, not brown (however, no biggie). If you disconnected the TAN wire from the horn and the horn continued to sound, then yes, the horn is bad.

But if you disconnected the TAN wire from one of the sensors on the engine and the horn continued to sound, that simply proves that particular sensor is is not shorted to ground.

BigBassin78

Seaman

The wire is considered TAN, not brown (however, no biggie). If you disconnected the TAN wire from the horn and the horn continued to sound, then yes, the horn is bad.

But if you disconnected the TAN wire from one of the sensors on the engine and the horn continued to sound, that simply proves that particular sensor is is not shorted to ground.

Thats right joe... Another technique to help isolate the ground is to disconnect the large main harness(red plug) under the hood of the motor. If Alarm stops then ground is in the motor sensors, I it does not, then the short is in the boat harness somewhere. I am currently dealing with this same issue on my 95 fast strike. I have isolated it to the VRO harness.

pschutz

Cadet

have the same motor...and I do have an ongoing issue with my horn as well...but it repeats and i know it,, so it isnt an issue...i have 2 temperature gauges to allow me to monitor the head temps.

as for the reason the tech might remove t stats....one I can think of is, the head is getting too hot...either from abnormal friction...or from a lean carb or two.

usually if you remove one thermostat the other head temperature rises, because you have a low pressure path and the most of the water takes it...leaving very little to the closed head.

if they are both open or both closed, they equal out more.

my alarm sounds exactly 2 minutes after I turn the motor on...no way is the motor even warmed by then..and it sounds for exactly 10 seconds constant, and then shuts off.....happens every single time i turn the key on..

I havent figured it out either...I just accept it and have put foam all around the horm so it isnt as loud.

good luck

bob

Just wondering if you figured out the alarm problem you were having, I have a 94 Johnson 200 that is doing the exact same thing and I haven't been able to figure it out.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Pschutz..... You tried the trouble shooting procedures we've outlined above?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

... Another technique to help isolate the ground is to disconnect the large main harness(red plug) under the hood of the motor.

I have a problem with that technique. With that large RED electrical plug disconnected, (engines that incorporate the RED plug), there would be no voltage being applied to the warning horn to begin with.