Are These Reed Valves Seating Properly (Pix Included)

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a pic of the reed valves on my 1983 15hp Johnson. The first picture shows the valves when held at an angle and you can see 'light' coming through a gap between the valve and the plate. Is that normal and acceptable or should the valves lay tight against the plate. I assume it's a practical idea to replace both the leaf-valves and the leaf-stops?

Also, could someone identify that narrow channel (best view in 2nd picture) that extends from one side of the valve plate to the other side. I'm just curious as to its purpose and to its importance with respect to the engine's operation. Should I blow out the ports in the powerhead where this channel enters and exits (and what is a safe air pressure).

35becfr.jpg

10gyxz7.jpg

343jkgg.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Are These Reed Valves Seating Properly (Pix Inc)?

Well, it's a close call on the reeds. If they'll close with the lightest touch, they probably will be ok. But you must have a reason for taking it apart and asking. Probably if in doubt, replace them. Yes, reed and stop together. And don't get the bright idea of just flipping them over.

The channel is an oil line taking oil from the bottom to the top bearing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The reed valves are fine. The channel is put in for excess oil recert in the c/c when the mtr is idleing.

bobgritz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Are These Reed Valves Seating Properly (Pictures Attached)

Re: Are These Reed Valves Seating Properly (Pictures Attached)

F_R, you asked why I am probing around in my motor. Well, I had two issues that led me to dissect it.

Originally I was getting no reaction from my top cylinder. Although it had a good spark test (1/2") and is getting fuel (wet plug) when I pulled the top plug wire the engine did not change but the engine would stall when the bottom wire was pulled. I rebuilt the carb and the fuel pump (also tested for leak), changed coils, power pack, plugs and wires but the engine maintained the exact same problem. Oh yeah, compression is 115 each. I wondered if there was a problem with a lack of vacuum in the crankcase which pointed to the reeds.

During the tests, I noticed that there was less and less water flow out the overflow (pee hole) and that the head was getting hot. First I pulled the water pump and it looked fine. Then I pulled the thermostat plate and next I pulled the head but found no blockage in either. Since I wanted to check the reeds anyway, I pulled the powerhead and voila (see next pic) the rubber grommets have apparently collapsed over time and were blocking the flow of water.

Anyway, since I'm in here, it seems logical to change the reeds which, if nothing else, would eliminate them as the possible culprit of my non-firing top cylinder. Boob, with all due respect, could the integrity of the reeds be in question. In other words, after 30 years of use, they have done a lot of 'flapping' and I wonder if they may have lost some of their springyness. I don't entirely understand their operation but it would seem that they must be continuously opening and closing and perhaps they are no longer as strong as they once were.

I'm tempted to change the rings too but with 115 lbs in each cylinder, that doesn't sound like a prudent decision.

wsskqo.jpg

I don't pretend to have anywhere near the experience of F_R. In the course of repairing my engine I put in Carson composite reeds (the factory reeds were wore out and previous owner just flipped them - horrible idle). In the course of purchasing reeds from him I spent some time on the phone talking to Chris Carson, one of the things he stressed was that reeds should lie FLAT with no light visible under them.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

No prob. But normally if a reed is bad you will get some spit back out of the carb/s.

powerslide

Seaman Apprentice

No prob. But normally if a reed is bad you will get some spit back out of the carb/s.

by spit back do you mean fuel coming back or maybe a hissing noise? Sorry to hi-hack but i wasnt getting many responses on my thread.