First motor... 1953/54 Evinrude Super Fastwin 15hp... 15012

thewollerts

Cadet
Hello,
My family recently was given an aluminum Lone Star boat with an Evinrude motor and two gas tanks, an Evinrude and an Elgin.

I know! I was excited too. Everything is in rough shape... but aluminum is an amazing metal! I'm focusing on the motor first. I would like to get it running and hopefully use it this summer. I think my wife is not so optomistic. I'm not sure if I would like to do a complete restoration or just give it a major tune up and a minor facelift.

I am new to two cycle engines. I look forward to the challenge. I have been searching the internet and the library for anything on outboards and this motor in particular. Found a good book at the library about finding and repairing outboards, a great site about a guy from Toledo making old boats and outboards new again, and now iboats. Now I have a motor, some motivation, and help at my fingertips. I'm like a mad scientist on the verge of discovery. Now my wife is scared!!!

So here's the skinny. I decided to test the two cycle waters today on the motor. The chord won't pull. I removed the cowl and recoil and tried turning the flywheel clockwise in neutral. No dice. I removed the head and there is some corrosion on the cylinder walls and the tops of the pistons. I have heard that some penetrating oil and a wooden mallet might loosen it up. Is this a good idea? I want to make sure it'll move before I go buying parts. Any help would be appreciated by this outboard novice.

Thanks,
Grant

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First motor... 1953/54 Evinrude Super Fastwin 15hp... 15012

Well, it's possible that the powerhead is locked up, and/ or the lower unit is locked up. Either way it's gonna be a good amount of work. If you use a mallet on the pistons, you risk damaging them, the rods, and the crankshaft. Penetrating oil can work wonders. However, I'm not sold that it is the powerhead. Try draining the lower unit oil (there is a flat head screw towards the very bottom of it). If a whole bunch of water comes out, or nothing at all, it may be the lower unit is locked up. If it is clean oil, it is probably the powerhead.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If the corrosion is rust and not carbon buildup. Then try soaking with penetrating oil then tapping with soft mallet. If there's rust there it would be a good idea to tear the entire powered down and clean up. It can be done as I just resurrected one that was rusted solid. I freed everything and soaked with penetrating oil then honed cylinders and whalla, it wasn't to bad for a free motor.

thewollerts

Cadet

Thanks! I will look at the lower unit. Just heard again today about hitting the pistons with the butt of a hammer handle. Happy I didn't try that.

lindy46

Captain

Does the motor shift ok? Prop turn in neutral? If it does, look to the powerhead as the problem. If not, drop the lower unit and see if the flywheel turns.

thewollerts

Cadet

Well, after reading some replies and other threads I think it would be only right to give this classic motor a complete tear down and rebuild. Being my first rebuild I hope it wouldn't be too forward of me to ask if anyone had any digital parts explosions or diagrams for this motor or where to find them. I really want to do this right and while I'm sure I could tear it all down I would be more comfortable rebuilding it with an example and some tips of trouble areas to watch out for.

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a link to a very informative series of articles on a '56 OMC. It doesn't go into a complete tear down which may be in your future but it gives a ton of useful info you will need. It's not the same year as yours but most of it will apply. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index6.htm

This is a link to parts diagrams for a '55. Again, not your year but some of it will help.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...evinrude-johnson/FORM_2104/FORM_210400001.htm

I would also recommend this book;
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/media/books/cheap/index.htm

Here's one for decals and other stuff if you get it resurrected and decide to paint it.
http://www.nymarine.ca/

Well, after reading some replies and other threads I think it would be only right to give this classic motor a complete tear down and rebuild. Being my first rebuild I hope it wouldn't be too forward of me to ask if anyone had any digital parts explosions or diagrams for this motor or where to find them. I really want to do this right and while I'm sure I could tear it all down I would be more comfortable rebuilding it with an example and some tips of trouble areas to watch out for.

thewollerts

Cadet

Does the motor shift ok? Prop turn in neutral? If it does, look to the powerhead as the problem. If not, drop the lower unit and see if the flywheel turns.

Thanks for the tips! Prop turns in neutral! Awesome, but it's the power head then. Took off the head, and sides (intake and exhaust manifolds?) The carbon build up on the exhaust side was a good 1/16th of an inch thick! I'm asuming this is from the oils in the fuel. Sprayed some pentrating oil at the pistons hoping to gain some movement in the power head. Also sprayed the oil drain plug, she won't budge. Removed the carburetor and the part behind that (some sort of fuel air mixing chamber?) I'll get better as I look at some manuals and diagrams. Right now I'm having a blast tearing into this grimy old beauty.

thewollerts

Cadet

If the corrosion is rust and not carbon buildup. Then try soaking with penetrating oil then tapping with soft mallet. If there's rust there it would be a good idea to tear the entire powered down and clean up. It can be done as I just resurrected one that was rusted solid. I freed everything and soaked with penetrating oil then honed cylinders and whalla, it wasn't to bad for a free motor.

It looks like surface rust and carbon build up. It is seriously ugly taking this thing apart. I'm convinced that she'll cleanup though. I'm borrowing a honer? as well as a flywheel puller from a friend, hopefully we'll get this thing opened up and shining again. Wishful thinking perhaps. If I can't free up the power head before removing the flywheel I will try the mallet after removing the crankshaft from the connecting rods. Thanks for replying!

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're lucky you got the exhaust cover and head bolts off without problems. They can be problematic when theres a lot of carbon buildup inside.
Be sure to use a harmonic balancer puller ($13 at harbor fright) and NOT a prong type gear puller when you pop the flywheel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-bolt-puller-set-37824.html
While you're at Harbor fright, get one of these too for only $6. It'll make short work of the stuck drain plug. http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

thewollerts

Cadet

You're lucky you got the exhaust cover and head bolts off without problems. They can be problematic when theres a lot of carbon buildup inside.
Be sure to use a harmonic balancer puller ($13 at harbor fright) and NOT a prong type gear puller when you pop the flywheel.
http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piece-bolt-puller-set-37824.html
While you're at Harbor fright, get one of these too for only $6. It'll make short work of the stuck drain plug. http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-screwdriver-set-with-case-37530.html

The exhaust cover came off with more of a fight than the intake side. I had to pry on the tab where the spark plug wire retaining spring is and the gasket didn't make it through the ordeal. My six year old daughter came out and saw the carbon I was pulling out and said that I was gross. Not the motor, I WAS GROSS. I think she'll help with the rebuild once everything is clean. I really appreciate the links and suggestions. I'm taking pictures as I go, and I'll post some before, during and afters when I figure out the site a little better. Thanks again.

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't sweat the gaskets. Just make them. Buy a roll of the rubberized gasket material (not the cork kind) at most any auto parts store for $6-7, trace the old ones onto it with a fine point ball point pen and cut them out with an exacto knife. Buy a cheap hole punch set while you'll at harbor fright for $5 and punch out all the holes. Don't try cutting the little holes with the exacto, it's way too much work and will never be as good as you get with the hole punch. For not much over $10, one roll of the gasket material yielded all the gaskets I needed to rebuild my 18hp Fastwin. (Buy a new head gasket of course, can't make them.) Make sure the gasket material says it's fuel, water and oil resistant.

thewollerts

Cadet

Don't sweat the gaskets. Just make them. Buy a roll of the rubberized gasket material (not the cork kind) at most any auto parts store for $6-7, trace the old ones onto it with a fine point ball point pen and cut them out with an exacto knife. Buy a cheap hole punch set while you'll at harbor fright for $5 and punch out all the holes. Don't try cutting the little holes with the exacto, it's way too much work and will never be as good as you get with the hole punch. For not much over $10, one roll of the gasket material yielded all the gaskets I needed to rebuild my 18hp Fastwin. (Buy a new head gasket of course, can't make them.) Make sure the gasket material says it's fuel, water and oil resistant.

I JUST returned that book to the library... seriously yesterday! Didn't get to finish it, but will be taking it out again tomorrow. I think I will make my own gaskets. Any thickness recomendation? I went to the harbor freight site, looks like pretty good prices. Great for me just doing this one motor. That was a joke, I can totally see myself doing this again, and again...

oldybutagoody

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is additive. They only had one thickness and I just used whatever it was. I'm guessing it was 1/16". IThis is the hole punch I bought. It worked flawlessly. I cut them out on a plastic cutting board.http://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html
I JUST returned that book to the library... seriously yesterday! Didn't get to finish it, but will be taking it out again tomorrow. I think I will make my own gaskets. Any thickness recomendation? I went to the harbor freight site, looks like pretty good prices. Great for me just doing this one motor. That was a joke, I can totally see myself doing this again, and again...

thewollerts

Cadet

Just got my pictures off of the camera. This is the motor before I started.
post02.jpg
This is the carbon build up in the exhaust cover. I thought it was a lot.
post03.jpg
Dropped the lower unit this evening. Still haven't gotten the oil drain plug loose. The drive shaft o-ring cracked apart taking it off, rotten, and the water hose grommet is improperly placed (sort of pinched).
post01.jpg
The impeller is still very plyable, should I keep it as a spare?

And now a thought about paint. My powerhead is painted and I was thinking about stripping it to bare metal. Is it more true to the original painted or not painted. It seems as though having it bare would be better if I needed to work on it, but I like the factory look of it painted as well. Any thoughts? Also has anyone tried airplane stripper for removing paint? I have more time than money, is this a good substitute for media blasting?

kfa4303

Banned

I suppose you could keep the old impeller as a spare, but I'd get a new one while you're at it. Hopefully, the water pump housing grommet is ok. I suppose you could strip the motor and leave it bare aluminum if you wanted. I think some old mercurys were raw metal. If that's the look you want I would get it soda blasted rather than trying to strip, sand and scrape all the little nooks and crannies.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Nah throw that old impeller in the garbage so that you are not ever tempted to use it. Getting chunks of rubber stuck throughout your cooling circuit is not fun, neither is overheating.

I dont think you would be happy with the results of hand sanding that powerhead and leaving it, I would just personally leave well enough alone.

Be sure to replace that drive shaft o ring, and re grease the splines, it prevents water from getting into the powerhead. Also replave the grommet on the impeller housing, when they are warped or dry they cas pinch the water line, restricting cooling water.

Heat that drain scew up with a heat gun or propane torch, then hit it with plenty of penetrating oil and have a go at her.

lindy46

Captain

Use an impact driver on the drain screw - it will come out easily.

thewollerts

Cadet

I think I'm goint to have to replace anything rubber on this motor, almost all of it is brittle or cracked. Speaking of cracked the gear shift handle is cracked. Unhappy! View attachment 139928

Until I can get an impact driver I drained the "oil" out of the fill. This is what glurped and oozed out. post05.jpg

Hope to disassemble more tonight. Let's see what other fun we can find in there!

nwcove

Admiral

looking like a lower unit seal kit could be in order!!!