1995 Fast Strike 175 hp Johnson constant alarm

amvaneyk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1995 Johson Fast Strike 175 Hp and it runs great however every now and then just when i'm idling a constant horn will sound. Sometimes if I put it in nutral and give it some gas it will quite. Also it will quite if I just take off and start running on pad. I have good water coming out of the water pump and it doesnt seem to be overheating. Seems to me that it has to do with fuel. How or what can I check to help solve this problem. Thanks!

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1995 Fast Strike 175 hp Johnson constant alarm

amvaneyk,
A 20-30 second horn would indicate a fuel restriction and a constant horn would indicate an overheating issue. To the best of my knowledge a constant horn will not go away without shutting down the engine and cooling to less than 207 degress.
A fuel restriction could be simple and just involve changing your external fuel filter, cleaning/replacing the internal filter and checking hoses/connections for leaks.
If the fuel restriction is not the issue, you should verify if the motor is actually overheating and go from there. You could also pull the thermostats and to see if they open by slowly heating in water on the stove. , you may be surprised by what ends up in the bottom of your pan after it opens. You could also back flush the motor with medium pressure through the thermostat openings. Then reinstall or replace the thermostats and flush through the rabbit ears with vinegar or another applicable product.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you still have the vro oil tank in it just for the heck of it disconnect the wires coming from it and see what happens.

amvaneyk

Seaman Apprentice

If you still have the vro oil tank in it just for the heck of it disconnect the wires coming from it and see what happens.

I thought it would be a beeping alarm if it was low oil??

amvaneyk

Seaman Apprentice

I cleaned the one coned shaped filter that the fuel passed through when it enters the motor is there another filter somewhere? Also could the vents possibly be plugged, if so how would I go about taking them off? I have a 95 stratos 285 pro XL.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"I cleaned the one coned shaped filter that the fuel passed through when it enters the motor..."

amvaneyk,
That would be the internal filter I referenced earlier. I assumed that you also have an external fuel filter or another type of in-line filter.
Let us know if cleaning the filters, or disconnecting the VRO wires as boobie has suggested, solved your problem.
fuel filter.jpg