1977 Evinrude 75hp now not pumping water- Problem now solved!

BonairII

Commander
Motor ran a couple minutes yesterday while I was working on the link & sync. Third time I started it...water wasn't pumping out of the telltale. Impeller is new btw. I pulled the LU and checked impeller/key, ran the hose up the intake and water came right out the telltale like it should. Pump housing is def connected to intake tube internally.

Put LU back on today and still no water pumping. :mad:

Checked compression just for the heck of it...and it's still good.

Motor has run fine on muffs before this problem. What could be messed up and causing water NOT to get up to the engine?

I'm getting a bit frustrated at this point, so maybe I'm missing the possible cause of the water problem.

BonairII

Commander
Re: 1977 Evinrude 75hp now not pumping water

Anyone got any suggestions on what could be causing this problem?

This just isn't making any sense to me. I can't figure out how it was pumping water one minute....the next minute no water. Water supply hadn't changed and nothing internally looks broken.

I just pulled the Lu again....here's what the water flow looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHhEG_zWJQ4

Is there too much water coming out around the drive shaft? Grommet isn't worn and according to the schematic, I'm not missing any pieces in the water pump housing.

Like I said before, I've had great water flow(pee stream) on muffs....then it just all of the sudden stopped.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

Check thermostats for clog and maybe head covers or heads if that motor has water deflectors they could be bad requiring head removal

BonairII

Commander

The telltale is BEFORE the t-stat, so I normally get a pee stream immediately. I don't know if the motor has deflectors, I'll have to see if my manual shows them.

nwcove

Admiral

ive never seen one work well leaking that much water at the pump housing, have you tried putting the lu in a bucket and turning the driveshaft with a drill ( being carefull not to damage the splines, with prop removed?)

BonairII

Commander

I just solved the problem. I don't know actually WHAT I did to solve it, though. I took the LU off again and completely disassembled the water pump housing. I examined every part and then put everything back together. I did find that one vane on the impeller was backward...maybe that caused the issue.

I re-flushed the intake plumbing just to make sure nothing was in there. And checked the intake screens also.

Fired up the motor and after a few seconds....the telltale started a good stream. :D

I ordered a new water pump housing grommet just to be safe. I was placing an order for misc stuff(spare fuses, gaskets,impeller key, flywheel key, thermostat etc), so I just added the grommet to the order. The old grommet doesn't look worn at all, but better safe than sorry.

I'm really relieved now that it's running. I also found out that my idle is a bit high because the carbs aren't completely closing at idle. I manually pushed on the carb linkage and the butterflies closed a tad more and the idle came down.

nwcove

Admiral

sounds like you're on the water soon!!

BonairII

Commander

Yeah. I'm going to try and get the link&sync correct and then splash this weekend.

It was a whole lot of work/aggravation to fix this problem...and the other problem, which turned out to be I was using the wrong spark plugs. :facepalm:

Hopefully, "wrong plugs" is actually all that was wrong. Nothing more frustrating than driving the boat to the lake and launching it....only to load it back up a few minutes later.

nwcove

Admiral

i may have asked that question about the plugs in another thread. as minor as they seem, plugs can cause some odd problems. ( even different brands that are supposed to be equivilent to .....lets say champion plugs) hopefully it was as easy as that!

BonairII

Commander

As much as all of this has been frustrating, it's all a learning experience for me.

tomx

Cadet
Re: 1977 Evinrude 75hp now not pumping water- Problem now solved!

I am new to the '77 75hp. Where exactly does the tell tale stream come out of the motor? I just want to make sure i have proper cooling.

BonairII

Commander

A telltale needs to be added to your motor....it didn't come standard on the motor.

Water will come out of the 2 exhaust relief holes on the back of the leg of your motor and also out of the prop.

Adding a telltale is pretty easy.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222677

This is what my telltale setup looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp40DFFQuFM

It didn't use the fittings suggested in the Telltale install thread....I used a "delrin tube" and a 1/8" fitting found in the plumbing section of my local Lowe's.

tomx

Cadet

Great info thanks. I appear to be getting proper cooling as far as motor performance is concered. But I will be adding the tell tale for cheap insurance.