72 Evinrude 9.5 Sport Twin

ngoodart

Seaman
Hello All,
This is my First post, I have gotten alot of usefull information from this site and now I asking my first of many quesstions I am sure. I hae what I believe is a '72 9.5 hp Sprt twin short shaft. My Problem now is that getting ready for wormer weather and getting everything out of storage I have discovered that last weekend my Motor was vandalized and the culprit, get this removed the upper of the 2 spark plugs! and relieved me of it. Well I was just thinking no big deal I needed to replace them anyway. I go to pt the new one in tonight and test the motor, in a drum of course. To my dismay I discover that they damaged the threads where the spark plug threads into. So this brings me to my point,,,, What in the world do I do about this. Should I try and chase the threads with a tap and hope they hold, or do I replace that portion of the power unit? Please help! I volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters and I have the hopes of a weekend fishing trip for a 7 yr old little boy riding on this motor running...:facepalm:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 Evinrude 9.5 Sport Twin

Take it into a dlr and have them install a heli-coil in it. Shouldn't even have to remove the head if you do it right.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Heli-coil.
Some idiot low-life needed a spark plug for his lawn mower.....

ngoodart

Seaman

Well another midly frustrating day so far, I just got off the phone with the 2 service places in my town and got told by both of them that my motor is too old and they won't work on it.:facepalm: I am pretty mechaniclly inclined so I am going to have to do this myself. Would an auto parts store have the Heli-coils to repair this? Or does any one know what the thread profile on spark plugs are. Your help is greatly appreciated.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Are the threads stripped or just damaged there are spark plug thread chasers .

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Plug size. 14x1.25 MM. Maybe try a machine shop ?? You must have some pretty inexperienced techs in your area where they just can't install a heli-coil.

ngoodart

Seaman

I appreciate all the help I have gotten from you all. I was able to get a Heli-coil set at the lacal Auto-zone and installed it myself. Pretty simple process, I made sure that I had plenty of grease on the tap to catch the metal cuttings and it worked like a charm. We splashed the boat this weekend after a complete re-fit on the interior and it did pretty good. I definatley need to give it a tune up it started to bog down a little bit and missed once in a while. It was also extremely difficult to start the longer it sits. Im going to order a carb kit, new points and condensors. Is there anything else I should look for to get this good little motor purring better?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Smart move with the grease on the tap. That's what I used to do.