1963 evinrude sportwin 10hp propeller drive pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gottafixit

Recruit
I recently aquired a 1963 sportwin 10 HP in really nice shape with the exception of it has a broken propellar drive pin. Before I start beating on it to get the gearcase head and seal out of the prop what is the proper procedure to do this repair?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1963 evinrude sportwin 10hp propeller drive pin

File around the hole, to get the burr off. You don't want to force the bearing head off, or you'll marr up the bearing surface.

Willyclay

Captain

it has a broken propellar drive pin. Before I start beating on it to get the gearcase head and seal out of the prop

First, welcome to the forum. The experts here, which I am not, can help you with any problem. However, before they can help you, it is essential that all of us communicate clearly. For instance, I interpreted your description of the problem being a "broken propellor shaft" and not the "drive pin" you specified. Why else would you want to remove the gearcase head? Member 1946Zephyr has responded correctly for a broken drive pin. If I am creating confusion, just say so and I will disappear with my deepest apologies to all. Good luck with that great old motor!

gottafixit

Recruit

First, welcome to the forum. The experts here, which I am not, can help you with any problem. However, before they can help you, it is essential that all of us communicate clearly. For instance, I interpreted your description of the problem being a "broken propellor shaft" and not the "drive pin" you specified. Why else would you want to remove the gearcase head? Member 1946Zephyr has responded correctly for a broken drive pin. If I am creating confusion, just say so and I will disappear with my deepest apologies to all. Good luck with that great old motor!

Thank you for making me open my eyes, I have already fixed the problem, replace the pin and slid the prop back on, I don't know why I thought I had to remove any of the bushings/bearings....Duh glad I asked before I got to beating on the prop. Thanks again

kfa4303

Banned

Glad you go it. For future reference, you may see the terms "Shear pin" vs. "Drive pin" used on various motors. A "shear" pin is generally made of a soft metal like brass and is designed to fail/shear when the prop hits a submerged object, thereby saving the powerhead from damage. Also, the props on motors designed with shear pins, generally do not have rubber hubs within them, although the prop may certainly have been replaced over the years. A drive pin, on the other hand is usually made form a very hard metal like Stainless Steel and is NOT designed to fail per se. Rather, motors with drive pins tend to have props with internal rubber hubs which are instead designed to fail in the event of hitting a submerged object. While you can get away with putting a softer shear pin in a drive pin motor, you do not want to put a SS drive pin in a motor designed to use a shear pin. Happy Boating! Vroom-vroom!

ok yal i have a broken drive pin in my 10 hp sportwin sucks it broke but the motor didnt now i hate paddling where can i get another or what can I use

F_R

Supreme Mariner
It's against the rules for us to reply to this 4 year old thread, but I'll tell you anyway. And next time, please start a new topic of your own. BTW, we appreciate you.

Part number 203663 from your friendly Evinrude dealer or on-line from somebody selling OEM Evinrude parts. Or do like the rest of us and cut to length from a piece of stainless steel rod.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.