Johnson 150 Fast Strike rev limiting @2500 (video link!)! please help!! UPDATED!!!

BigBassin78

Seaman
Video of the exact issue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua8p...DvjVQa1PpcFMfYyYPexZ1E8T3QvLG8YmrdEcc_w0REhI=

I just bought this boat today(95 18' Javelin 150 johnson Fast strike w/ 14x24 RAKER) It ran perfectly for about 30 minutes. Seller said this would be the first time on water since early fall '11. It started right up, ran like a champ, then started to act like a rev limiter on a car. It would not go passed 3k RPM. Oil injection seems to be ok since it was smoking well. Water pressure seemed ok, indicator stream was very strong. I do not know much about VRO systems other than their intended functionality. Oil res was full, I added to what gas was already in the boat which probably wasnt a good idea, as well as a can of seafoam. Anymore info that is needed I will post ASAP.

UPDATE: Read on if you like, there is a lot of good info, however to save some folks some time here is an update and fix for the issue. The issue turned out to be caused by the blocking diode. If you have a problem with SLOW on a Johnson/Evinrude, first check temp switches, then the blocking diode(picture on second page of thread), then the power pack. Obviously there are other possibilities, but these are the most likely.

Thank you for all who helped and contributed to me solving my problem!

Last edited:

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Johnson 150 Fast Strike rev limiting @3000 (video link!)! New boat please help!!

Re: Johnson 150 Fast Strike rev limiting @3000 (video link!)! New boat please help!!

Big,

Sounds like the motor is going into S.L.O.W. mode to protect it from damage.
I have a manual that may cover your motor and will get you some more info later, I just need the full model #.

SparkieBoat

Captain

adding some oil to your gas is a great idea..I plug all my vro lines and premix anyway. you need to test your overheat alarm. check engine compression, then spark..instructions in my sig below.

BigBassin78

Seaman

I will get the model number asap, but isn't 95 150 60' degree V6 Optical Injection System Fast Strike power tilt and trim enough. lol

BigBassin78

Seaman

model number... J150ELEOM

BigBassin78

Seaman

What does the SLOW acronym stand for? No alarms are sounding, yet not even when the key turns.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Big,
That model is not specifically listed in my manual. However, the information is of use in its generic form and could be used for diagnosis and general repair and maintenance.
I have included a link to a brief desciption of the S.L.O.W. system and also one of the System Check engine monitors.
Based on the year you posted(1995) I assume you have the system monitor/analog tachometer installed.
I guess we can start with the basics, do you receive any type of alarm(horn or light) when the key is turned on?

BigBassin78

Seaman

will bypassing the VRO system solve my problem? how will the engine know that it is getting oil and not limit the engine?

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Big,
The motor is designed to go into S.L.O.W. mode only when a water related overheating condition exists. There are a few other reasons for this to happen, but lets concentrate on the possible overheating issue.
You stated that you are receiving no lights or alarm(horn) when the key is turned to the on position. Do you have one of the two monitors that I linked to earlier?

SparkieBoat

Captain

SLOW limits the RPMs to 2500..so if you are hitting 3K ..it is probably another issue. re - read post #3

BigBassin78

Seaman

well i know that I state 3000 rpm in the title but if you watch the video i state 2500 - 3000 because older tachs are notorious for their inaccuracy.
However, I do appreciate your advice.

SparkieBoat

Captain

If it is going in to SLOW mode you need to figure out why, but if you will do the simple basic engine health test, it will eliminate things it could be, this is standard operating procedure for most professional outboard mechanics.

BigBassin78

Seaman

Ok, judging by the video can someone confirm that this behavior is in fact SLOW mode. The video is short and very clear.

Last edited:

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Big,
I just went through this on my '98 J150 last month, I am almost certain that the motor is in/or going into S.L.O.W. mode.
Have you ran the motor above 3k or 4k rpms and not go into S.L.O.W.? Have you ran the motor above 3k-4k rpms and had the motor go into S.L.O.W. mode?
My motor sounded a continuous alarm and the water temp. light came on while idling around after a 20 minute run at around 4k rpms. I shut the engine down and waited a few minutes before restarting, at that point I could get a few minutes of running at idle before the alarms started in. I then proceeded to let it cool down for an hour and then limped back to the ramp, but as soon as I tried to accelerate she would enter S.L.O.W. mode and I would have to slow it down. There is no mistaking that sound or vibration in the boat.

BigBassin78

Seaman

i ran the boat for about 20-30 minutes varying from 3000-5200RPM. Then After stopping and idling for a second I went to go back to the dock at full blast and this is what happened. The compression on this motor is 93-103 on all cylinders. There is oil on the plugs and the appropriate amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust. I do not get any horns but I'm thinking that the horn is faulty.

OutOfControl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Big,
I am going on the assumption that you have one of the two System Check monitors I linked earlier.
If so, the following links will give you instructions on how to test the sensors and associated wiring. Let us know what you find and we'll go from there. It may not be as bad as you think and alot of times it can just be a bad connection or ground.

Circuit Verification
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

BigBassin78

Seaman

Thanks OOC, but it seems that the horn is my only check system. there is a water temp gauge, but there are no dash or instrument lights(check engine, low/no oil, etc. ) I have grounded the horn and it does not make a sound. so i have ordered a new horn...

BigBassin78

Seaman

OK, got the horn in today. Hooked it up and now I get the dreaded constant alarm. I have tested the horn, and it chirps appropriately when the tan lead is not connected. So, I know that the tan lead is grounding by sensor or bare wire. I will update after I tinker a little longer. Hopefully whatever is causing this constant alarm will be the same issue that is causing the motor to go into protection mode.

BigBassin78

Seaman

Well I have narrowed down to something in the VRO circuit. I disconnected the 2 lead D shaped connector in the motor that comes from the VRO tank(one tan, one black) and that kept the alarm from sounding when the key was turned. I don't know exactly what this means. I haven't gotten in to the VRO tank to see if anything in there is wrong, hoping it will be obvious.

Does this problem seem like it could be what is causing the SLOW mode?

SparkieBoat

Captain

if it is disconnected at the VRO harness, it should not cause slow mode...but I would be sure to premix oil in gas.